• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 nathanm

nathanm

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

About 20 years ago, I bought a couple of waterproof padded bags from Underwater Photo-Tech that used to be in Derry, New Hampshire. The bags are big enough to fit a housing and flash units (with arms folded). I have used them for years to carry my camera in the dive skiff. They are great because they are padded, so they offer some protection against the inevitable bumpy boat ride. They are waterproof so you can use them as a dunk tank if need be. When dry, you can even pack things (not housnings, but I often put other items in them) for travel.

I typically put the whole rig into the bag on the dive boat or shore, then ride out in the skiff or other dive boat, with the housing in the bag. It goes from the bag into the water, and then as soon as I hand the camera to somebody on the skiff it goes back into the bag. I have used these bags for so long that I don't even know what other people do.

Well, the zippers have finally given out so I need some new ones. I can't seem to find any current substitute.

I think that the bags were originally intended to be soft-sided coolers for taking to football games etc, but they were private labeled by Underwater Photo-Tech. UPT was apparently absorbed into Backscatter, but I don't see anything like this on the Backscatter web site.

I also can't find any other solution for carrying housings in the boat. There seem to be no end of specialized bags for carrying dive gear and/or cameras WHEN DRY, but I don't see any solution out there for this specific need - carrynig the wet housing to/from the actual dive.

I have looked at other soft-sided cooler bags, but so far everything I have found has drawbacks. Many of them are too rectangular - they are designed for six-packs of beer. They are not padded as well either. The larger ones tend to have wheels and so forth which won't really work.

Does anybody know where to get these? Or, if not, then what do you use to carry your housing to and from the actual dive site?

#2 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

I use one of these soft-sided coolers. It works very well.

http://www.bluewater...axonomy:316.317

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D, 2x Inon z240, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tos/andydeitsch

#3 pdemaagt

pdemaagt

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

I use one of these soft-sided coolers. It works very well.

http://www.bluewater...axonomy:316.317

interesting suggestion Andy.

#4 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3052 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Here is the direct link where you can see some different options. I have two of the boat coolers. One to hold the full rig with strobes and a smaller version for snorkeling. Recommend the ones with the dry zippered pocket on the side. Great for keeping a towel handy and other small bits. They work great as coolers too.

Cheers,

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#5 nathanm

nathanm

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Here is the direct link where you can see some different options. I have two of the boat coolers. One to hold the full rig with strobes and a smaller version for snorkeling. Recommend the ones with the dry zippered pocket on the side. Great for keeping a towel handy and other small bits. They work great as coolers too.

This is great - just what I was looking for. What size cooler holds the full rigs? The 24 pack or larger?

#6 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

I have the 36 pack which holds my full rig and two strobes with arms

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D, 2x Inon z240, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tos/andydeitsch

#7 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

This works great!

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=1981

#8 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I bought a 36 can soft pack cooler bag from Big W here in Oz for $25.
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#9 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

I use a hard cooler and pad it inside with a sheet of foam and over it my towel to provide shadow.
If needed i can fill the cooler with water and it keeps the rig at water temperature.
I belive that the hard cooler protect my rig better than a soft one and the last soft cooler
became real stinky after some use as the foam inside don't dry well.
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#10 bfdc

bfdc

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

these work as well: http://www.polarbearcoolers.com

...available at amazon as well

Edited by bfdc, 01 January 2013 - 07:10 PM.

#11 diggy

diggy

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:U/W Photography

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Yes i use the polarbear 48 pack cooler. This is also used for transporting some of my gear on Airplanes (check in baggage) and works great as the whole bag is nice and padded.

Cheers,

Diggy

SERENE I FOLD MY HANDS AND WAIT,    FOR WHAT IS MINE WILL KNOW MY FACE

Diggy          http://www.scubadiggy.com/

Canon7D, Nauticam housing, mini and large dome, canon 100mm, canon 60mm, 10-17 tokina, macro ports, extensions, two inon Z240, Nauticam SMC converter, +3, +5 diopters. Two Sola 2000, One Sola 1200, Go Pro hero 3 Black 

#12 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

I use the 48 pack polar bear. Thing is built like a tank. Completely waterproof, so I can fill it up and have my own personal rinse tank on the boat, no other cameras allowed!! So far, no boat has objected to this. On the way home, the sloshing of the water cleans everything out, saving me a half hour of work!

#13 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

I use the 48 pack polar bear. Thing is built like a tank. Completely waterproof, so I can fill it up and have my own personal rinse tank on the boat, no other cameras allowed!! So far, no boat has objected to this. On the way home, the sloshing of the water cleans everything out, saving me a half hour of work!

You leave your rig in the bag full of water, sloshing about on the way back? Your brave
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#14 water buffalo

water buffalo

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

Last winter I dove in Cozumel off Dive with Martin's fast boats. The rinse tanks were just small buckets more suited to a couple of P&S housings than my DSLR rig.

I thought of using a soft-sided cooler like those mentioned here but felt the weight would be too much. Isn't a cooler filled with water and a housing heavy, awkward, cumbersome, etc.? How much water are you putting in the bag?
Nikon D300 & D70s, Ikelite housings, DS-125

#15 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

For rinsing housings when diving from day-boats here in the UK I take a 1.5ltr pump-up garden sprayer pre-filled with freshwater. Sure, its not a 'comprehensive' rinse but it'll do for the sometimes 3-4 hour passage (mid-channel technical diving) back to port . I've yet to find in the UK a photog friendly charter boat equipped with any more freshwater than to make tea, let alone a rinse tank... :-(
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#16 DocTock

DocTock

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Cheers,

Another strong vote for an aocoolers bag. I have a bright red 48can (?) with my name embroidered on the side.
As mentioned, it can either pack in a checked-bag with wetsuits and well padded dome port inside, or it can be used as a "suitcase" by itself.
Useful as a way to carry photo gear onto a day dive boat - once there, filled half-way as a personal rinse-tank (most morons on these boats can't seem to remember NOT to put their anti-fog laden masks into the on board rinse-tank!) - and YES it is very heavy with water inside.
It also makes for a perfect place to instruct dive-boat "helpers" to "Please return my camera to THIS bag, NOT the boat rinse tank."
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

#17 Kenr

Kenr

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Diving,
    Yoga,
    Photography
    Running
    Cars
    Travel
    Good food

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

I have an AO 36 and I love it. Perfect bag to pack my stuff, fits as a carry or check-in. The sides snap down so it looks like a duffel bag. I want to get the 48 for increased capacity. I use mine to move my gear on and off the boat, works great. I can put in addition to my UW cam gear, another small cam, place for sunglasses, hat, etc.

Question, how do you guys get water on it while on the boat? Im diving off these little boats in the Philippines and I can't imagine filling it up with water and carrying it on.

#18 smk82

smk82

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:35 AM

Apologies for restarting an old thread, but where can you get AO cooler bags or similar in the UK? (I know i could import, but looks like costs would be almost as much as the bag!). Other cooler bags I've looked at all seem to skimp a bit on the padding..

#19 Draq

Draq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

SMK82:

I cannot answer your question about where to find those bags in the UK, but if it helps any, the bags from PolarBear and Norchill are pretty much identical to the AO bags.  Perhaps broadening your search will make it easier to find one.

Good luck.

#20 MarkdraytonMark

MarkdraytonMark

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:08 PM

Apologies for restarting an old thread, but where can you get AO cooler bags or similar in the UK? (I know i could import, but looks like costs would be almost as much as the bag!). Other cooler bags I've looked at all seem to skimp a bit on the padding..