3 replies to this topic

#1 bearaway

bearaway

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Hello all,

Did a quick video of couple of clips I got on my trip to Cocos on December 14-24 onboard Okeanos Aggressor. We were not exactly lucky with the conditions for this trip as pelagics had a bit of a week off, I suspect moon phase was probably key (it seems that the current trip is having a blast as my friend is still on board :-/ )

That's my first attempt at editing video somewhat moderately complex so things are not exactly tip-top but I like the result so far. I retrospectively should have done a little bit more videos. In the last 4 days, I fixed the GoPro on top of my dome to have continuous shooting. I had left the GoPro magic filter at home, I would have been interested to see the difference.

I missed some close encounters not having that where I had a Galapagos shark shooting straight through a channel at coming head on at me, a tiger shark coming on top and behind us while we were busy looking the other way and another one shadowing me for a minute. I never had the video on for those encounters or was of course busy facing it the other way while my head was looking somewhere els

The dolphin shooting is courtesy of Capt Alberto Munoz from Okeanos aggressor, we got them again on the next dive and I was busy trying to shoot them on still (they were a bit more nervous).

I started to post some pictures on Flickr

[vimeo]56530182[/vimeo]

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

Nice clips from Alberto. Great behavior.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

I cant see your video yet as i have a poor internet connection. Really like the Hammerhead shot you have on Flickr though. Cocos is an amazing place if everything comes together.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

The Cocos have always been my favorite place to dive and have been there 12 times since 1992 but only during their rainy season from late May through Sept. which is when the large schools of scalloped hammers come in. I never tire of the spotted eagle rays. Over the years I have seen a terrible decline in the numbers of silver tips and silkies and even the marble rays were not as numerous when I was there last in 2011. Great dolphin clips. Did you see many long lining boats while you were there or run into the lines while diving?
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cocos island, underwater, pacific, video, dolphins, sharks