27 replies to this topic

#21 Ronyx

Ronyx

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Diving, Adventure Motorcycling

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Photosmith is working with Seagate to take advantage of their Wireless Plus drive. The only issue is that it appears this feature won't be available until a couple of App updates into the future. It looks very promising through.

Photosmith Blog entry
http://www.photosmit...-wireless-plus/

Seagate Wireless Plus
http://www.seagate.c.../wireless-plus/

#22 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

I was about to buy PhotoSmith, but it has had terrible reviews of late, mainly due to it not working with Lightroom and poor to no new development.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#23 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

128gb iPad was announced today -- should help out a bit with managing data on those D800's and with quick video reviews.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#24 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

So I got the iPad and the Wi-Drive. Alas, at my age time is important. I took my small Macbook Pro. I'm sure the other combination would be good for someone shooting jpegs on a compact!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#25 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Another possibility would for an example be a small ASUS Zenbook 11.6" for travelling.
It is fast ( i7-ULV Processor & SSD) , light ( 1.1kg), has a couple of USB3 ports & runs Lightroom.

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#26 AlanU

AlanU

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

For those running into problems with limited iPad capacity, or anyone so paranoid (like me) that they want three copies of all photos taken:

1) Transfer RAW images to iPad using Camera Connection Kit

2) Jailbreak the iPad and install iFile, which is a free file browser for Jailbroken iOS.

3) Within iFile, copy RAW image files *from* the iPad *to* another SD card - which becomes the third copy.

4) (optionally) use iPhoto to rank/flag photos.  Photos that have been ranked of flagged in this way remain on the iPad, in the form of reduced resolution jpegs, even after deleting the photos from the Photos App.  These are useful for viewing your favorite photos during the shoot, but are obviously of no use for subsequent editing.

5) (optionally) delete photos form the Photos App to make room for more, if you hit the iPad's capacity limit.

If you only do (1) to (4) then you have three copies (assuming you do not delete the card that came from the camera), the SD card from the camera, the iPad, and the SD card used in (3).

iFile has lots of other advantages too.  For instance, you can store movies on an SD card and view them (provided they are in iPad compatible MP4 format) without transferring them to the iPad.

Advantages: three copies for the paranoid; spare SD cards *much* cheaper than upgraded iPad.

Disadvantages: have to jailbreak (but this has many other advantages associated with it ...); need to know where iOS keeps the RAW image files in the guts of its filesystem.

#27 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

Another possibility would for an example be a small ASUS Zenbook 11.6" for travelling.
It is fast ( i7-ULV Processor & SSD) , light ( 1.1kg), has a couple of USB3 ports & runs Lightroom.

/Erik

I got this ASUS laptop this past month.  The size is great and only 2.4 pounds.  I feel like I made a good choice. Seems to be everything I wanted in a light weight travel computer. The USB3 ports are a nice advantage. It boots up fast.  But remember I am comparing to my old laptop which was 6.5 years old and a boat anchor.  I have played with it here at home and it does a great job of downloading RAW files and working LR and other applications all at the same time.  Next test....2 week dive trip in May. 

Happy diving guys - Pam 

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#28 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:58 AM

Thanks for all the info. I settled on the small Macbook Pro. It does everything I need and it fits in my back pocket of my photographer's jacket (for carry-on purposes!).

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?