10 replies to this topic

#1 udi62

udi62

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

After few dives with this rig :
Camera - it's not D700 but yet, it's a good camera that can work very nice underwater. The video is a great bonus.
Housing - love it. Works great !
Macro - Works wonderful. I work with the 56201 105 DX Macro Port Base + the 56221 NX Compact Macro Port and it works like a dream for the 105 VR, 105 VR + 1.4 TC and the 60 2.8 macro.
Super macro - Use the 105 + 1.4 kenko TC + X5 or X10 wet diopter.
Fisheye - Using the Sigma 15 Fisheye with the 6' compact dome is possible, but using it with the 240 Dome is much better, even without any ext' ring. (I haven't tried an 20' or 40' ext ing yet).
Wide zoom - Using the 16-35 with 60 mm' ext' rings with the 240 Dome port got much better resolts then without any ext'. Yet, it's not good enogh for me ( Sea&sea recommends using this lens with 2 X 40 mm' ext' rings!!!) and I gave up on this lens for now.
My personal decision - Sigma 15 2.8 + 60 2.8 macro + 105 2.8 macro.
Love to hear your personal thoughts.

#2 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Agreed - but add a dry leak detector to the housing!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#3 udi62

udi62

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

I've installed the Aquatica leak detector - now I have visual and vocal alert.

#4 kmsellin

kmsellin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

Hi,

Nice rapports guys!! I am useing the same gear right now and are testing it out. I have upgrade from D300s to the D800. In the same time almost change every lens...

Right now I am using...

D800
Sea and Sea MDX Housing
Dual S&S YS110a strobes
TTL Converter III
Optical port and diffrent macroports.
Lenses is 60mm, Nikon 105VR, Sigma 15mm, Nikon TC 2.0x III Converter. ( I have sold my Kenko converters, both 1.4x and 2.0x)

So far I have just tested the equipment in pool and alot on land of course. My opinion is splited. When it works, results i magic! I have compared directly with D300s, and the different i clear! Specially on land, with Nikon 70-200/2.8 the pictures is eyecatching! But on the downside I find it more diffcult to put focus perfect.

I am trying out the D800 quite hard. Right now in snow and really cold conditons. I let camera even to be in the snow just to check the weather sealing. The more I use the Camera, the more I lovet it. Specially the DR and resolution. I will go to Norway in end of Januari and really try the camera out in cold water.

Its a really minus that S&S didnt include leaksensor in this housing!

Here is an picture from D800 + Nikon 70-200.

D800.jpg

Edited by kmsellin, 04 January 2013 - 02:23 AM.

#5 udi62

udi62

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Enjoy and report please !
As you said, the resolution is the plus and minus of this camera - when you hit, you get great results, but you don't score that much (it's even worse with the D7000).

#6 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

udi62,
can you explain your statement:

Camera - it's not D700 but yet, it's a good camera that can work very nice underwater.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#7 udi62

udi62

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

Well, Chris, it's only my personal insight, but, after using the D300, D700, D7000 and the D800E on land and underwater, my feeling is, that the D300 was and still is the best machine for underwater photography. Body strength, D.O.F, A/F system , dispersing of A/F points and success of around 85% shooting macro and moving objects. The only bad thing I could say about it, was Iso performance. The D700 was even better by having amazing Iso performance. and it's still, for me, the best camera out there ! The D7000 (I had 2 copies) was a nice toy, but, I couldn't get more then 20% focus accuracy and I sold it loosing a lot of money and I don't regret it. The D800 is almost the same as the D700. It has a very good focus system, solid body, colors tend to be green/blue/yellow , which is horrible out of the water but perfect for underwater photography, great video and amazing details when you hit the target,and the ability to croop up to 70% for super macro, but, the only problem with it is that every tiny movement will take the subject out of focus. It's actually a studio camera that will perform the best on a tripod or on a very high shutter speed.

Edited by udi62, 05 January 2013 - 05:16 AM.

#8 WarrenB

WarrenB

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

Thanks for sharing your feedback udi62 - Presently I use the D3s underwater and am very pleased with the results, but after buying the D800 for topside photography I've seen some really amazing detail in my topside results when shot in good natural sunlight that i've rarely been able to achieve with the D3s.  With that I've started to think about getting the D800 underwater but I just can't find many real feedback reports from people that have spent their own money on their system.  In lower light i'm very aware of noise and compared to the D3s which handles less light scenario's very well.  I'm also aware of the movement/focus issues that udi62 talks about and topside, i would normally overcome the challenge with a faster shutter speed.  What I'm worried about is if i take the D800 underwater to a lower light environment accompanied by the focusing issue that udi62 mentions.....how is the D800 going to cope with say a moving subject like sharks.  My gut feeling is...not so well?  I've seen John Bantin mention his frustrations with the D800 and obviously udi62 confirms there is a problem...any chance you guys could let me know your thoughts...?

#9 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

I've got the measure of the D800 now. It focuses instantly and I have stopped trying to use the focus lock because it does it better than I can!

I am now having so much success with it that I have sold my DX outfit and my D700 outfit including the housings. The dynamic range and high ISO performance cannot be compared and I often crop down to only 24MP!

In fact, on my last trip (sharks, sharks and sharks), I shot from the hip and rarely looked through the eyepiece!

I now only have a D800 with 15 Sigma and 105 Micro Nikkor for underwater use.

See: http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=49825

Edited by John Bantin, 16 March 2013 - 06:24 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#10 udi62

udi62

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

The D800 focus system is great !!!

The high resolution harm severely the contrast and it looks some times as not  sharp enough.

Adding  contrast and sharpening is essential !!!

All together, I find the D800 a good camera but more difficult to handle than my old D700.

The Sigma 15, Nikon 60 and Nikon 105 vr are really good on it as John says.

I'm sure the D4 will be much easier to handle !

#11 pndldy

pndldy

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, travel and photography

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

I have to thank you guys for all the info in this feed, as a new D800 owner, this information is so valuable to me. In the process of trying to find the right housing, and lenses for underwater, your conclusions will probably save me alot of $$. The macro is a no brainier, but wide angle and domes seem to be a bit trickier.
Nikon D4, D800, D90