Photo

Suggestions for 2/3 inch or 35 mm chip video camera and housing?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GhostDigi

GhostDigi

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Pasta and Whales

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hello Divers,

I am a professional shooter. I have recently booked my 2nd SCUBA video shoot. We are shooting in residential pools. It's for pool cleaning equipment. Last time I did this, I used a Cannon 5D Mark iii with the Aquatic Underwater Housing. This had significant limitations because this housing didn't have a focus ring. It was a fixed focal length the entire time and it was a pain. They didn't give me an assistant so I had to hope I was right in judging the 1-3 ft depth of field that I had. Everything worked out but it could go so much better.

I talked them into giving me a bigger budget for the camera and the underwater housing. Being a one man band I'm going to need something that can let me adjust iris and focus. Also something with a nice viewfinder because shooting in a pool in FL is like shooting in the center of the sun and it's really hard to see the viewfinder. Any suggestions? I am doing my research but I would love to hear from any older underwater shooters that know way more than me. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

I'm talking about professional video cameras just to be clear. I need a 2/3 inch chip camera or full 35mm.

Thanks again!!!

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1499 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

If the only limitation is that the focus ring wasn't there (don't know what lens you were using, but I am guessing that a focus ring exists for most FF wide angle lenses for the 5DIII) why not just use that same system with a housing that has the ring? You can get the extended view finder for most housings but don't know about FL rentals.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net