• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Great trip, excellent boat and a destination worth repeating... HD video with stills. Using Canon XA10/Gates and Nikon D7000 & Aquatica.

Edited by NWDiver, 05 January 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6179 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Now that brings back a few memories. Great work from the two of you!

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#3 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

Thanks Mike, one of our favorite spots, great boat, sketchy cruise director but you can't have it all....lol

#4 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Very nice. Thanks for posting it. I have always enjoyed your videos that you post.
My wife and went to Komodo in July and we were a bit disappointed in it. Of course, we weren't able to get down to the south sites because of weather, so Cannibal Rock and Manta Alley were a no go. Maybe one day we will have to try it again.

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#5 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

Deez, thank you and sorry to hear you missed those spots. We could have stayed all day at Manta Alley but some of the non-photogs were getting "bored", lol. Hopefully you made it to Batu Bolong, it has to be in our top 5 favorite individual dive sites ever. Another spot I could spend a couple of days diving.

#6 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

How anyone could get tired of diving with mantas is beyond comprehension. We did get a dive with some good mantas encounters at makassar reef. That was great and it broke a bit of a manta curse for us. (Palau German channel 3 times, kona manta night dive 3 times, and a Maldives trip that had to be cancelled 3 days before we left because my wife had pneumonia). No mantas for any of those....

We did dive Batu Bolong, but nothing memorable happened. I just didn't find Komodo to be that productive, photography/video wise. Could have just been our trip. My wife, who does the photos, shot half as many photos in 10 days, as she did in 8 days at anilao, and lembeh.

I want to give it another shot, it will just be a while, as it's hard for me to take off 2 weeks of work. Komodo obviously gets rave reviews from people on wetpixel. So just have to think it was our trip and time of year...July.

Having seeing your website many times, I miss your trip reports! Looks like you have done Komodo a couple of times, but you try to do different locals for your trips, which is what we try to do. Although, we are about to repeat anilao.

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube