Photo
- - - - -

My first underwater video, feedback would be great!

EOS7D dslr video bali indonesia werner lau boxer crab 100mm canon canon

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hi everyone!

Finally I put together a little video with some shots done in and around Tulamben!

The video was done for putting on our tv in the diving center, thats why there is some Bali/resort intro/outro stuff in there as well Posted Image

This is my first video so please feel free to give some feedback!

Enjoy,
-Morten

[vimeohd]57081976[/vimeohd]

Edited by MortenHansen, 10 January 2013 - 01:11 AM.

#2 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 222 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

First, when you said this was your first video I expected to see a lot of jerky footage of subjects that were too far away and or not lighted with any thought. But what I found was video with very good camera skills, very steady hands and pretty enjoyable to watch. Very good, makes me want to dive there.
Second, it's a pretty long video. I am not sure you will hold most audiences for 20 minutes. I feel it could easily have been two videos, an above and below. Or maybe a wreck and or creature. But hey, you held my attention for the whole 20 minutes and maybe people like me are the audience you are looking for.
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#3 biminitwist

biminitwist

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Diving, UW Video and travel

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Excellent video and brings back some great memories.
What were shooting it with?
John

#4 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Thanks a bunch Paul, glad you liked it! :)
The length is an issue, I guess especially for internet, I made it to loop in the diving center and thats why I wanted to put in a bit more material so if someone was sitting doing logbooks or whatever they would most likely not see the same footage twice.

John, it was shot with a Canon 7D, 100mm USM, 60mm USM, Tokina 10-17, in Aquatica housing. The wide-angle shots were made with manual white balance, the macro shots were lit up with the focus lights from my strobes (D2000 & Z240).

I know, I really need to get some video lights but my girlfriend insists that if I buy 1 more piece of camera gear she is allowed to buy 3 pairs of shoes.. :P

Does anyone have any other advice on how I can improve my video skills?

Thanks a lot, Morten

#5 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 222 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:32 AM

3 pairs of shoes........that's funny, about choked on my coffee.
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

I agree, darn good for a first time film maker but I also agree that 20 minutes is far too long. Usually, and as much as it hurts to do so, you produce a better and more interesting film when you cut a project down in duration. Try not to fall in love with your own footage. You definitely need some good video lights so bring your girlfriend to the Salvation Army and let her pick out three pairs of shoes.
Okay, at 3:37 and another at 3:45 you have jump cuts so pick two of the three clips and cut them. Prior to those shots you have a good downward facing establishing shot of the divers on the wreck but then you jump to the upward shot. Why? The establishing shot should lead to a further shot of the exploration of the wreck imho.
At 3:56 you have two, nicely focused shots of a ray. The 2nd is moving away from you and that would be the one I'd cut.
First frogfish clip could be shortened a touch if not cut completely since you have a moving behavior shot of it following which is the better of the two.
4:19 moving through the wreck all the way to 4:31, cut in half.
4:37 moving through the wreck again....I'd cut the whole clip

Okay, I am at 5 min and I can see that you have some great clips, steady hands, no lights but great potential. I know it hurts to do so but start cutting with 5 min 15 seconds as your goal. Keep clips
no longer than 5/6 seconds unless they are fantastic behavior shots. When possible always attempt to shoot up at the subject rather than down at them which will flatten out the image.

Get her those slippers and you get the lights; a fair trade.
Steve

Edited by Steve Douglas, 11 January 2013 - 09:51 AM.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#7 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Hi Steve, thanks a lot for taking the time to analyze the footage a bit!
Next time I do a video for the web for sure I will make it shorter, this one was purposely made to be long, for the whole diving-center thing.

Looking through the footage, I totally agree with the fact that changing the "downward facing establishing shot" to an upward shot looks a bit strange, I guess it just never caught my eye!

For sure I still have a lot to learn, I guess especially when it comes to editing and leaving shots out!

Again, thanks for the feedback!
-Morten

#8 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Morten,

Very nice. I enjoyed it alot. Thanks for posting it.

My only, would be to trim your clip length a little shorter....unless of course something amazing is happening. I try to do mine 5-7 seconds per clip.

Look forward to seeing more video from you.

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#9 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

My only, would be to trim your clip length a little shorter....unless of course something amazing is happening. I try to do mine 5-7 seconds per clip.

I will try to keep them a little shorter next time, guess it is pretty hard not to drift away and start thinking about chocolate (first thing that came to mind and its 08.00 in the morning?!) or whatever when the clips are too long! Thanks!

#10 bluewaterimages

bluewaterimages

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

Very nicely done for a 'first-timer' much of my suggestions are already mentioned in other replies. One thing that I learned from Howard Hall footage - get the clips into rhythm of music, soft rhythm = soft transitions, sharp rhythm = hard transitions and catch the tact of the music where you change the clips.

Lengths of clips reduce to 5-7 seconds or tact of music.

Follow the story, diver jumps in water, use the shot from below, don't go back topside (sunset boat shot) stay underwater and use topside sunset shot when dive is over.

Keep 4-5 macro shots together and ad 1-2 wide angle shots of reef to give viewers eye a 'break'. Also I suggest that you keep the wreck shots in one flow and reef shots in another, don't mix them. Love your steady hand and not 'painting walls' like we call it :)

Love how you use the rhytm of percussion for shrimp sequence at 10:02.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

#11 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:55 AM

Hi everyone! 

So finally I got around to cutting the video a little shorter. Its now 2min30sec, threw out a whole bunch of footage and put some new stuff in there, I also went for a much shorter length of clips. Had a lot of fun with cutting it to the music so I hope you will like it :)

Oh yes, I uploaded this in HD from Indonesia, took me a year and a half, so please do watch it in HD as well! :D

-Morten

Edited by MortenHansen, 12 May 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#12 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

Nice job Morten!

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#13 Pete L

Pete L

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

Very nice

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

PHOTO - Canon 7D-Nauticam Housing/60mm macro/10-22mm/twin Z240 strobes.
VIDEO - Panasonic HVX200/Gates Housing/EM43 Monitor/SWP44/L&M Sola 4000s.

#14 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:47 AM

I do like this version better, nice job.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#15 dykvideo

dykvideo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Diving and sailing.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:38 AM

Hej Morten.

Nice work. 

Søren

www.dykvideo.dk

#16 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:00 AM

Thank you for all your nice comments, glad you enjoyed it! :) 

-Morten

#17 Eddcar

Eddcar

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:19 AM

Really nice video, definitely can please a dive tourist looking for a dive vacation.

Side question: May I know in which month these footage were filmed?  Thanks!

#18 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:48 AM

Hi Eddcar,

Thank you! :) 

This was filmed in november/october 2012 and in february 2013 (mantas). 

-Morten