4 replies to this topic

#1 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

I'll be in Dominica with a small group in early February. In researching the bagge allowance on AA I came up with this information that I used for my trip prep bulletin:

"I didn’t trust the web to deliver accurate information about baggage allowances into Dominica, so I persevered though an interminable hold time to actually speak to an AA agent. Here is what she told me after 40 minutes and 38 seconds on the phone … 70 pounds trumps all.

If you fly first class you get three bags for free and you maximum weight per bag is 70 pounds. If you fly coach you get one bag for free and a second one is $40, so long as both under 50 pounds. That’s a normal expectation for the Caribbean from the USA. Dominica is not normal. Over-ruling all of this is the baggage embargo into Dominica which states you may have 2 checked bags but the aggregate total on checked baggage can be no more than 70-pounds. It is not a matter of paying more, it is simply not allowed. We will have to be very creative with how we pack for this trip!"

I deduce the hand carry rules are as per normal for American Eagle but this is what the agent told me for checked baggage to Dominica (connecting through PR).

Does anyone have real world information on this?

As an aside, has anyone had problems with bag pilferage in PR lately? It used to be outrageous, but assume/hope this is no longer the case.

Thanks.
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 2987 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

Stephen,
The Dominica 70 lb limitation is real and is due to the unique runway configuration. (Short and built into the side of the mountain) On the plus side it's a real kick to come down through the mountain valley and land in the jungle. Getting in wasn't a problem since most will check the bags in Dallas or their home port. The problem shows up in Dominica when it's time to leave and it makes for some interesting discussions at the ticketing desk.

I was able to take two bags with 50 in each by flying one of the legs in First class. (PR to Dallas) AA has some unique ticketing options on their website that can make flying first less expensive than coach when you add in the cost of the additional bags. Be sure to check the cost of the "instant upgrade" fare. Example; DFW to SJU coach is shown as $602 for some flights in April, Instant upgrade is shown as $789. That would get you first class seats and the three bags that go with it. Most folks miss that the "Instant Upgrade" is in first but it's always worth checking. It works very well for flights to Costa Rica too.

Good luck,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

It has been three years since I have been to Dominica. I just loved the place, it's a beautiful place. But I warn you if you get car sick to be loaded up on motion sickness meds before you get in the van because it's an updownroundandroundontheedgeofacliff ride for at least 2 hours across the island from the airport. I remember carry on being very restrictive and a gate check is just about for sure so pack your gear in something hard and well pad everything. They would let us carry a very small backpack on board and that was it. I don't remember the 70 pounds total but I would not be surprised if that is true.

I agree with Steve that it's pretty cool coming in for the landing, it sure looks like Jurassic Park for the last 10 or 15 minutes.

The 3 times we have went there we had to do an overnight in Puerto Rico, if that is the case is a lot easier to just stay at the Hilton in the airport then to pay a cab and a hotel room away from the airport. We have done it both ways and though it's a very little bit more it was way more convenient at the Hilton.

Edited by Aquapaul, 10 January 2013 - 11:53 AM.

Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#4 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

This should be challenging, as I've never traveled to an UW photo location so light. I'll bring a Canon 1DMKIV in a Seacam housing, with only 2 lenses ... a Canon 8-15 and a Sigma 50mm macro. Hopefully that will cover me for whales, wide angle reef scenics, and smallish marine life. One fisheye macro port. Probably a Seaflash 150 and an Inon then, as even the strobe load needs to be minimized. Topside I might do it all with my little Canon 1GX. Interesting experiment.

Edited by StephenFrink, 10 January 2013 - 02:19 PM.

Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#5 BDSC

BDSC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Working out, Fishing, NFL Football

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

When I went a few years back we had to overnight each way (Miami) but I heard that you can now get there in one day from the East Coast but I have not verified that. I need to go back!