• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

Does anyone have experience with this combo? It works with the TC-20E III Teleconverter, despite the fact that Nikon states that AF won't work, so my guess is that it then also will work with the TC-17E II, but i'm not sure. Anyone?

Udo

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

check out more photos on the facebook

#2 elbuzo

elbuzo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Photography + cave diving

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

I recently used the Nikon 105 vr with the Nikon TC - 17E II on my D7000 and it works . Happy with the sharpness and the bokeh , the autofocus is a little bit slower but it works . See example @ f 6.3

Attached Images

• _JAA8429.jpg

#3 kmsellin

kmsellin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hi,
I use Nikon 105vr + TC - 2.0xIII on my D800. Works great, but autofokus is quite slow. Image qualite is superb!

#4 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

I recently used the Nikon 105 vr with the Nikon TC - 17E II on my D7000 and it works . Happy with the sharpness and the bokeh , the autofocus is a little bit slower but it works . See example @ f 6.3

If it works on a D7000 it should also work on a D800. Thanks for your reply! BTW, Nice shot!

Hi,
I use Nikon 105vr + TC - 2.0xIII on my D800. Works great, but autofokus is quite slow. Image qualite is superb!

I have that combination too and i know it works, but the 1.7X TC is an older generation, and that was my main concern.

Best, udo

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

#5 divegypsy

divegypsy

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

Hi Udo,

I haven't tried the 105 with tele-converters because I prefer to use lenses with as little extra glass as possible and have found that even when using the tele-converters with longer telephoto lenses there is usually some sharpness loss. IF I wanted a longer focal length for macro, I'd go with the Sigma 150mm or the 200mm micro-nikkor. If greater magnification is the primary purpose I prefer extension tubes and/or one of the dual element achromatic close up lenses. If you can get the Nikon 62mm 5T or 6T, these work very nicely on the 105mm VR. The 3T or 4T work very well on the old 105mm and the 200mm micro-nikkors. And a 72mm Canon 500D works well on the Sigma 150mm. All the close-up lenses get you about 1.4x max. Adding a Kenko extension tube or two can get you to approximately the 1.7x as the Nikon converter. And maybe with a little better sharpness.

Fred

Edited by divegypsy, 16 January 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#6 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

Hi Udo,

I haven't tried the 105 with tele-converters because I prefer to use lenses with as little extra glass as possible and have found that even when using the tele-converters with longer telephoto lenses there is usually some sharpness loss. IF I wanted a longer focal length for macro, I'd go with the Sigma 150mm or the 200mm micro-nikkor. If greater magnification is the primary purpose I prefer extension tubes and/or one of the dual element achromatic close up lenses. If you can get the Nikon 62mm 5T or 6T, these work very nicely on the 105mm VR. The 3T or 4T work very well on the old 105mm and the 200mm micro-nikkors. And a 72mm Canon 500D works well on the Sigma 150mm. All the close-up lenses get you about 1.4x max. Adding a Kenko extension tube or two can get you to approximately the 1.7x as the Nikon converter. And maybe with a little better sharpness.

Fred

Hi Fred,
Thanks for your reply. Actually greater magnificaton is the purpose of adding a TC in my case. There are many ways to do so and i agree with you that less glass is in general better for the quality. But I don't use macro rings since they only allow you to come closer to the subject as far as i know. Right now i use the 105 with the +5 or the +10 Subsee and i'm very satisfied with the quality so far. But an even higher reproduction ratio could be nice in some cases. I actually do own the Nikon 5T and 6T, but i doubt whether the quality of those 2 close-up lenses stacked together will be better then with a Nikon TC. Besides that, with 1 or 2 diopters inside the housing you're also stuck with a narrower focal range.
But i found a 2nd hand Nikon TC-17E II allready and topside the AF works quite OK with the 105 VR. I still have to get the proper extension ring to make it fit properly in my housing, but then in theory the 105mm + 1.7TC + +10 Subsee combi should provide me a magnifcatioon radio of 4.6 : 1!

Udo

Edited by Udo van Dongen, 18 January 2013 - 07:09 AM.

www.udovandongen.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nikon 105 mm, TC, TC-17EII, D800, 105mm f/2.8G AF-S VR Micro, Teleconverter