4 replies to this topic

#1 Dudster4242

Dudster4242

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hello All,

I recently upgraded to a Nikon D7000 and went with an Ikelite Housing (not a perfect build, but the alternative housings are stupid expensive). I am planning a trip to Bonaire in late April so I will be in clear warm water with lots of little critters and fish that I'd like to photograph.

From what I've read the 60mm is going to offer a larger field fo view for the bigger fishes, but the 105 will give me the ability to get some nice bokeh on the little critters that I'll find. I've also read varrying opinions on the autofocus.

I do plan on having an autofocus assist light mounted on top of the housing as well.

I guess my question is, does anyone have any experience with the ikelite ports for these two lenses? I plan on renting the lenses so its no big deal either way, but I'd rather not buy uncessary ports - anyone used a single port for both of these lenses and had good results?

I should also note I already plan on using a tokina 10-17mm with a dome port for the wide angle shots, so I'm covered there.

Thanks for the replies in advance.

#2 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Eventually you'll want both macro lens as each has it strong points and specificities. I would recommend starting with the 60mm as it the more flexible
of the two; able to focus closer and has more working space for lighting. An inexpensive add-on for the 60mm is a Woodys Diopter to quickly add
some more magnification or working space when needed. The 60mm is a f2.8 lens so you can get some lovely bokeh with the aperture wide. I'd
also recommend getting the newer AF-S version unless you want to use it with a teleconverter then you'll want the older D lens.

Examples of 60mm images.

As for ports, Ikelite has a comprehensive Chart for once you work out which lens you are getting.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#3 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

I would recommend the 60mm macro as the first lens, then add the 105 later. I concur with above comment

#4 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

I too concur with the above statements about getting the 60mm Macro first. I prefer the older AF-D 60mm as its about $150 cheaper and you can use a Teleconverter like the Kenko pro 3000 1.4x. (I prefer to use the 60mm and the TC for my macro)

Have you consider the Ikelite modular system for ports? Cost more than a dedicated port for each lense but the front port is made out of glass which the other are not and you can add port extension for different lenses down the track.

Regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#5 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

I will echo what Mark has said. Even though the 105mm gives you a bit more length than the 60+1.4 TC at 84mm, the 60+TC is much faster at acquiring focus. Couple that with a +5 or +10 diopter and you can catch some tiny, tiny critters.

Start the 60mm and try to find the older AF-D like Mark says.

JP
Nikon D7000 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240