#1 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3068 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Hi Folks,
My wife got a brand new shiny Canon S100 and a FIX housing from Santa for Christmas and we're wondering what the best approach is for macro images. We'll be using an older S&S 110 strobe and plan to use an all manual set up for her to start. I'm curious about the sharpest settings for macro images. I have a Subsee +5 and 10 she'd like to play with too. We'd really appreciate any advice on preferred optical zoom settings and aperture to get her started so she can practise before we head to Lembeh in May.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#2 Yoav Lavi

Yoav Lavi

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:42 AM

if you are using the subsee - set the aperture to 8 (maximum), zoom to the maximum and set the shutter speed to 100 or more.
This is roughly the seting I'm using (with Epoque instead of subsee).

#3 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:05 AM

Hi Steve and congratulations on your purchase I am jealous you are going to lembeh!!
Onto your questions out of the box the s100 don't do ttl in manual and manual is what you need for macro
If you look around on google for CHDK ttl canon s95 you should find information on a script I have adapted for the canon hack that will enable ttl in manual
If you don't manage or your strobe doesn't work in ttl with the s100 your starting point is the camera without a diooter and for super macro the subsee +5 unless you have Pygmy seahorse and you want to try the +10 this should also make it easier to focus especially if you don't have a focus light that I warmly recommend
Settings
ISO 80 after all is a small sensor camera you want to keep noise to the minimum
Aperture f8 the subsee are powerful and bring high magnification without you may keep to 6.3
Shutter 1/250 or higher as at high magnification the minimum movement result in motion blur this still gives you some blue background against water otherwise 1/500 for black background
Zoom wise I recommend working at full zoom and finding the working distance otherwise you may end up on top of the critters
I recommend you practice on land with the diopters to determine the working distance at full zoom as that will make it much easier to focus basically once you see it magnified on the LCD you shoot to that respect set the magnification are to small
Happy shooting

#4 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3068 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I'm assuming when you say maximum zoom you mean max optical zoom, yes? First thing I figured out is we're definitely going to need a tray and handle. I have to say I'm very impressed with this setup so far. The shutter delay is much less than I expected, especially when I use the little Sola. The whole rig can be purchased now for less than $1000 USD, housing and camera. 12 megapixel, very capable system and it's the size of my old Nikonos. Fun stuff!

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#5 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

Steve definitely get a good tray and arm. Ultralight control system work for me the S95 set up we have has a TR-DM tray and a TR-DHB handle with 5"+5" arm segments

You will need a good number of STIX floats as this is pretty negative fora compact.

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: S100, Macro settings