• 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

[I posted this earlier in techniques and tips - I guess it should be here under video - apologies]

Anyone had experience importing RX100 AVCHD Video into FCP 6.0.6? I don't think it can be done directly, especially as I'm still on a non Intel Quad and MacOS 10.5.8.

I guess I will need a converter, but it my favorite - mpeg streamclip, using 1.9.2 - does not mention AVCHD in its help files.

I don't actually have the RX100 in my eager hands at the moment, but am trying to prepare in advance.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Nick

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

I have adapter an automator agent and using ffmpeg I can repackage the files into mp4
After that I manually import them in imovie skipping the process
This gives me 1080p50 files that can be edited directly
if you try to import both fcp and imovie do not see the 1080p50 or 1080p60 files

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#3 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Not quite sure I understand "I have adapter an automator agent" but I have looked up ffmpeg and it looks pretty versatile.

Which Mac OS and iMovie versions do u have, I'm on iMovie HD 6.0.3 and FCP 6.0.6 with MacOS 10.5.8. I can't upgrade further without replacing my Quad to an Intel machine and that ain't happening on my budget anytime soon!

Thanks for the input!

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#4 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

This is what I use with very good luck for converting my AVCHD: http://www.divergentmedia.com/clipwrap
Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#5 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Looks great, and it seems that ClipWrap also has legacy versions for my MacOS 10.5.8. Could be a winner. Many thanks!

#6 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

If you want to spend money bearing in mind it is not necessary as it can be done with free tool also consider iVI costs 1/5 of clipwrap

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#7 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Hmm, iVI is a nice looking app thanks, but it requires OS10.6 or later.

I'm trying a bunch of converters (now I have AVCHD files to play with), I may have to convert in Windows and bring the files across my NAS. I really don't have the budget or energy to upgrade two MacOSs on my tried and tested QUAD. Come to think of it as it is not an Intel machine I may not even be able to upgrade to 10.6...

#8 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Well I caved in and forked out $50 for the full ClipWrap product which has backwards compatibility for my 10.5.8 System; thanks focker.

Fast clip conversion, beautiful no loss resolution in AIC and Apple ProRes HQ, added advantage being no pre-rendering needed to edit in FCP for those HD formats.

Now all I need to do is get underwater and start shooting ...

#9 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

Premiere elements works well with the RX100 I installed the trial yesterday and works a treat
Still iMovie accomplishes pretty much the same things with a bit more work and less flexibility

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#10 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:53 AM

Searching around I found a lot programs that will handle AVCHD, both in Windows and Mac. My particular challenge was finding a way to edit these files with no quality loss with FCP v6 on MacOS 10.5.8. ClipWrap was the only program I could find that fit the bill. iMovie on 10.5.8 is not up to it.

I'm actualy taking a Win7 laptop on my trip in March, and Sony's own PlayMemories s/w is fine for field capture and review and maybe some basic clip trimming

Edited by NickJ, 20 January 2013 - 04:06 AM.

#11 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:31 AM

Nick just load up EDIUS and edit the native raw files with what ever :-) ..AVCHD is a piece of cake to cut up.
If the laptop has a Ivy or Sandy bridge CPU, EDIUS will use the CPU's built in H.264 encoder which makes rendering out speeds of H.264 files super fast.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#12 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

I posted another thread in this forum
You can import and edit AVCHD 2.0 files in iMovie and Final Cut Pro following some steps

#13 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Thanks Paul/Interceptor but my current need is to edit AVCHD in FCP 6 on an old MacOS/QUAD - I am now using ClipWrap to convert to ProRes and the arrangement works swimmingly.

I just looked up EDIUS and it ain't cheap! (as well as being Windows), but I'll bear in mind for the future.

Looks like AVCHD is pretty mainstream these days in any event (even Nero now supports). My challenge is using old PC and Mac hardware. There is an upgrade planned sometime in the future, but right now I'm skinny flint!

#14 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Yeh it aint cheap but there are dumbed down versions (cheaper) of EDIUS and it will cut up AVCHD even on a old PC clunker no problems.
If I had to convert all the footage I shoot every day to some other drive sapping codec I would be buying a 2 Terra GIG drive every month.

How is the new little camera going anyhow.
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#15 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

If you skip the normal import process in iMovie all is left is to generate thumbnails
Converting a file will always be more cumbersome and take time and quality
I found that rendering is actually not that hard even on high profile high frame rate clips as long as the clips themselves are short and in underwater video is always the case
I used premiere elements for a week and was nearly killing my machine
I really don't see how editing a native clip in mp4 can be a problem and as you can see in my workflow there is no need to spend money on any software converter

#16 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Hey Paul I'm very happy with the RX100, although I haven't yet had it underwater except testing sound/lights/action etc in the bottom of my pool. They have crammed so much technology into this tiny matchbox. The quality of the stills and 1080p video is simply excellent. Outside the Nauticam housing it's almost too delicate I feel, the retractable strobe especially feels vulnerable. However, in its housing it is really no bigger than my old Calypso/Nikkor II (and III) and handles really well. I'm looking forward to using it 'in anger' so to speak ...

#17 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:58 AM

A few videos in Raja Ampat or on my channel http://www.youtube.com/interceptor121

I could have done better in some cases but overall the camera is at the limits of what it can do, I have been told it looks better than single chip camcorders and similar quality to some 3 chip I would say not too bad
I have now sold the RX100 and the Nauticam Housing

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#18 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Yeh not bad footage from such a tiny little camera, make sure you post some footage from your underwater adventure Nick.

#19 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Will do Wagsy - leaving for www.misoolecoresort.com Raja Ampat mid March, back mid April, I'll have plenty of time to get used to the new toy :)

#20 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

Will do Wagsy - leaving for www.misoolecoresort.com Raja Ampat mid March, back mid April, I'll have plenty of time to get used to the new toy :)

What wet lenses are you planning to take with you?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: avchd, fcp, rx100, final cut pro