1 reply to this topic

#1 Benoit450

Benoit450

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Hi,

Im new to this forum and UW video too, so be respectfull :)

Im mainly diving in Quebec/Canada lake, very greenish water.
And i heard good thing about Magenta filter, that they help the Gopro 2 to find his WB.

But i want to have a lighting setup too, and removing gel filter will be imposible (inside the casing)

So this is my question:
Can you use the Gopro in green murky water with a magenta gel filter AND light (the light will probably be very pink/magenta)

And what if, i keep the filter ON and use GREEN filter on my light ?
Will everything be well White ballanced ?
Ive never heard of this kind of setup, but this look quite logical.

Sorry for my bas english, im french.

Thx,
Ben

#2 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

Hi,

I don't have any direct experience of GoPros in green waters, but in blue ones with an orange filter I have found the following: You can often get good results using a filter and lights, but of course you have no manual control over white balance, so you might have to tweak it on the computer, but often it's pretty good anyway. If you got hold of an acrylic magenta filter (just a plain circular one), you would can attach it by some DIY method- ie drilling holes near the edges and using elastic to hold it in place. That way you could put it on and off underwater.

One general comment- GoPro image quality decreases rapidly in low light, so while it's great in the tropics at midday, depth and poor viz quickly make the image more noisy. Anyway, best thing is just to try it out. I would guess that with powerful lights and staying close to you subject you should be OK.

Good luck!
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website