#1 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

The official policy is one carry-on, 15 pounds max. Plus one personal item.

I'm flying LAX to Auckland in April, cattle class. Any experiences and/or suggestions, other that a photo vest?
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#2 ATESG

ATESG

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

we just got back from Auckland. the 15 pound limit is a pain. we had to shift stuff around at the check in counter. there is also a size limit on carry-on, the US size is too big- but they let us through with our bag anyway.

elliott

#3 Julian D

Julian D

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

Hi. I travel between the US and NZ up to 6 times a year.  There's been more noise recently but I don't see them weight gear very often at all.  If they do it's usually a big US sized wheeled carry-on. 

If you pack your basic gear in a soft shoulder bag you'll be fine - 2 weeks ago I carried on my aquatica housing, 2 ports, focus light, extensions/gears, 2 DS125's, my camera, 3 lenses and a laptop with no problems (camera/lenses in a small camera bag). As the last poster experienced, if they do weigh you, I wouldn't be surprised if they let you off with it.  Just you smile and kindly explain the sensitivity of the gear.  Hope that helps (and I didn't just jinx myself by posting this - heading home this weekend!).

Cheers

#4 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

My carry on was weighted in the airport when we where leaving Auckland returning to our home.

It was a real pain!!!

The airline didn't care about our carry on bags but the control was part of the airport regulations, a real pain, I wasn't with my housing at that moment but had a lot of technical diving equipment with me.

The size of my carry on wasn't an issue, I have a small north face base camp duffel, it's compliance anywhere.

This happened on September last year.

Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr