#1 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Hi all,

I just checked in to see what people thought about the Metabones "speedbooster", announced with some fanfare a few days ago, and am surprised that it hasn't come up yet. I had for a long time thought this was such an obvious interesting tool that the fact it didn't exist must imply it can't be done. Now apparently it has been done. So why not earlier? There was some suggestion that it can only be done with mirrorless but I don't get that.

Anyway, if you haven't heard about it just check dpreview or google it. It is basically a reverse teleconverter which demagnifies the image. The result is a larger FOV (you no longer need to apply the APS-C crop factor to the focal length) and a gain in apparent aperture.

The first adapter will allow you to use Canon EF lenses for use on Sony APS-C NEX bodies, by applying a 0.71x demagnification, yielding a 1 stop speed gain. A version for m43 olympus and panasonic bodies should come later. These could have up to a 0.5x demagnification and 2 stop light gain. So my cheap but good 35mm F2 would become a 35mm F1 on m43. It don't think you get the shallow depth of field of a true F1 lens but the two stops of light will help negate some of the drawbacks of the smaller m43 sensor under low light.
A potential counter argument for UW use is that without adapter you would use a shorter focal length m43 lens to get the same FOV as a FF lens, and shorter focal length normally translates to closer minimum focus (an UW advantage of m43 that is not often mentioned). But for lenses that can already focus close, like the 35mm F2 or 100mm macro, it should be interesting.

If image quality is not affected, and that is the claim/expectation, then I would be very interested. Both to keep using some of my Canon lenses after a switch to m43 and to see what the extra light can do. The question is, will FF lens diameters fit into mirrorless camera ports?

Bart
Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#2 coroander

coroander

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

I wrote to Metabones about a 0.5x adapter for M43 and they said they'll only be producing a 0.71x adapter, which for general use would be much better with NEX cameras. I think the most interesting use userwater for M43 could be adapting the Tokina 10-17mm FE, assuming the AF works reasonably and the optics aren't compromised...

#3 nudibranco

nudibranco

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:clear waters for WA and small critters ! Beach diving

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

I also hear that they will make a version to translate old OM lenses with the same .71x factor. And surely there are a lot of older lenses Nikon, Canon, Sigma etc. to check in the UWA area.

Frankly unless there is some older lens you can adapt and test I see the cost and size to be of little benefit.

I only see a hole in the UWA to complete good MFT support in underwater use and I am sure it will be filled by some upcoming lenses... Everything is pretty much there already but the choice could be better!

Edited by nudibranco, 18 January 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#4 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

The first hands-on reports are coming in

Roger Cigala from LensRentals, testing the adapter on test charts
http://www.lensrenta...metabones-magic

A more video-focused look at eosHD
http://www.eoshd.com...ter-full-review

#5 nudibranco

nudibranco

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

quite promising indeed !! My 15mm fisheye Sigma with Canon mount may get some use on my OM-D afterall. !!
I used to love its images on land with APS-C Canon cameras I had.
And on M43 with the metabone adapter it should give similar focal length as the 15mm lens on APS-C...but with a 2.0 aperture!
It would fit interestingly between the 8mm Pana and 12mm Oly M43 lenses with about a 125 FOV and much less barrel distortion than the 8mm FE lens.
:)

Edited by nudibranco, 22 January 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#6 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Can anyone with a mirrorless Nauticam housing and DSLR lenses check if the diameter for mirrorless housing ports will fit a DLSR lens, for instance the 15mm Sigma lens.

Bart

#7 Kenr

Kenr

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Diving,
    Yoga,
    Photography
    Running
    Cars
    Travel
    Good food

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

quite promising indeed !! My 15mm fisheye Sigma with Canon mount may get some use on my OM-D afterall. !!
I used to love its images on land with APS-C Canon cameras I had.
And on M43 with the metabone adapter it should give similar focal length as the 15mm lens on APS-C...but with a 2.0 aperture!
It would fit interestingly between the 8mm Pana and 12mm Oly M43 lenses with about a 125 FOV and much less barrel distortion than the 8mm FE lens.
:)

do they have a canon to m43 adapter?

#8 nudibranco

nudibranco

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

Yes the do have a CANON M43 speedbooster in the pipeline that says March for availability...
Unfortunately very few lenses will make it into existing M43 ports.
I tried the sigma 15mm lens and it will not fit the opening by a few mm Posted Image

And I am afraid most lenses will not fit...
It may be better for NEX owners as the flange may be bigger I do not remember...

UPDATE:

The 15mm sigma does fit in the 12-50mm port. It just does not fit in the 4" semidome one.
So I guess it does depend on the lens port combination although given that the 15mm lens is quite compact I still think there will not be many lenses that will lend themselves to UW use in the M43 platform...

Edited by nudibranco, 23 January 2013 - 12:26 PM.