• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

I sold my beloved Sony FX7 and Gates housing last year. Having dove and shot video in Galapagos and Indonesia, I felt my days of big exotic scuba trips were in the past, so I sold my system.

Just got back from a trip to Belize and was surprised by the GoPro Hero 3 black. It's no FX7, but for $400, this things shoots decent video.

Here is something I quickly threw together. Shot mostly at 2.7k resolution, protune on, camraw WB setting. Cheap drop in gel filter. Very limited correction in editing. Mainly just contrast and brightness adjustments. A few clips shot with 1080k protune off and auto WB. The small size makes shooting steady a challenge. Rendered to 720 for online.

[vimeohd]57485474[/vimeohd]

Edited by ronscuba, 17 January 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#2 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Is there a reason why you turned off ProTunes? Nice clips there.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#3 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

This was my 1st time shooting with the Hero 3. I was trying different modes. The wide field of view is great for scenery, but too wide for pretty much everything else. To shoot in the narrow mode, you have to turn protune off. Found out narrow mode crops to the center section of the sensor which results in degraded footage.

Obviously the GoPro is not for serious shooting, but it does casual wide angle shots surprisingly well for it's cost.

Edited by ronscuba, 17 January 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

Does Premiere import directly the 2.7K format or you need to convert it first? Also is this premiere elements or pro?

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#5 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

It looked as if that moray wanted your GoPro, too.
Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#6 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

I use Premiere Pro CS5.5, edited the raw file. No conversion done or needed. Works great. Real time editing and previews with effects. Just needed to change project settings for the 2.7k resolution as there were no presets to match. Started with the Red 4k preset, then changed the resolution settings to 2.7k. Not sure what Elelments can or cannot do. Should be listed on the Elements spec sheet.

Recording the moray was kind of scary. It could have bit and swallowed the GoPro whole.

Edited by ronscuba, 18 January 2013 - 06:42 AM.

#7 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

Ok premiere pro out of my league
Checked element specs has no colour correction at all

I use Premiere Pro CS5.5, edited the raw file. No conversion done or needed. Works great. Real time editing and previews with effects. Just needed to change project settings for the 2.7k resolution as there were no presets to match. Started with the Red 4k preset, then changed the resolution settings to 2.7k. Not sure what Elelments can or cannot do. Should be listed on the Elements spec sheet.

Recording the moray was kind of scary. It could have bit and swallowed the GoPro whole.

#8 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

I can imagine. On my last trip to Coco View (February 2012), I got some video of a moray coming at me and bumping the front of my Bluefin, but that's a lot bigger and further from my hand than a GoPro would be. In the video, you can easily tell that I'm backing up as quickly as I can. Your video has even more impact due to the small size of the GoPro.
Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#9 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

I downloaded premier elements yesterday and it has the 3 wheel color corrector plus a whole bunch of RGB and temperature tools that are more than enough
It is pretty much the same as iMovie but it runs on both mac and Pc

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog