• 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

I just took possesion of my new RX100 and Nauticam housing. Boy, incredible the engineering advances in the last couple of years while I was looking the other way!

Question: although I can adjust (and set) White Balance for stills on the RX100, I can't find anything about video WB. Certainly not in the menus or web searches.

Has anyone found a way to set WB for video - or does it keep the still settings? Should I get a red filter for video (when not using lamps), or if I set WB (assuming it is possible) on a white/pink board will that suffice?

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hi Nick you may want to have a look at this
http://interceptor12...-white-balance/

Edited by Interceptor121, 17 January 2013 - 11:08 PM.

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#3 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

This is really helpful Interceptor; many thanks for that link.

I also found this on a review site http://www.imaging-r...-rx100VIDEO.HTM

" White balance settings also carry over to video mode, as do the tone/color aspects of the camera's various scene modes."

I've found that the 'AutoWB" and other WB settings have overrides (if you move 'down' with the joystick on the WB option) and you can shift the Auto (eg) towards red, blue or whatever you need. There is a full spectum color chart that you can move around and then set, and the color in the viewfinder shifts as you track across VIBGYOR etc.

If indeed the still WB settings carry over to video I believe there are more than enough options to play with, and to avoid using a red filter.

I'll report back once I've had time to play with the new toy.

Now I'm a little fellah, but even my fingers are like a bunch of bananas playing with this little gem. The u/w housing makes it more 'normal' sized lol. About the size of my old Nikonos II and III. Great construction, though the onboard strobe looks a little flimsy, just as well it is protected inside the aluminum housing when one is diving.

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

Yes you need to set custom white balance in Photo mode then it will carry over, the most useful settings are colour temperature and tint and you can also fine tune the manual white balance

The key issue is the navigation to set custom white balance in the first place

Filter wise it depends I have done a whole trip with it in Raja, in hindsight I maybe should have not used it on the other hand even with a filter the water was very green and was getting incredibly high colour temperatures.

This is one of the videos with filter + custom white balance more are on my channel

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#5 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

Nice video! I might try and rig up a filter from all the old gear I have, but on the other hand if I can't, I think the RX100 may have enough options for me to play with w/out the filter.

Was your original video shot and edited in AVCHD or MP4? If AVCHD what are you using to edit with?

Raja Ampat is so fantasic. I dived with the SV Shakti a few years ago; this March/April I am taking three weeks based at Misool Eco Resort.

I'll check out your other material, but meanwhile if you have other tips I'd be keen to hear them.

Thanks for sharing! Cheers, Nick

#6 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:18 AM

All shot in AVCHD 50fps and edited in iMovie no fancy tools really I do minimal corrections
I have a script to convert MTS into MP4 and then I bypass iMovie import so I generally edit native files with no conversion

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rx100, white balance