Honest critique welcome

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Hello folks,

Just wondering what do you think of this as an image...I mean...do you think it's too 'busy'??
Should I go for a more minimal approach?
I think one of my big flaws is that I try to put too much into the shot .....and just fire from the hip...
Any c and c would be most welcome

Tank u so much in advance

D

Attached Images

• DSC_0177_Edit.jpg

Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#2 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

I like this picture in black and white, but I find the fish to be too distracting for me. The bubbles going up from the divers give a nice perspective. If the fish had not been all over the shot, it would have worked for me.

What were you going for when you set this shot up? Thanks for sharing - DiverPam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#3 MATT S

MATT S

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

I think you have done a good job and I love the shadow.
Maybe next time you could shoot from a more frontal angle, so the eyes of the diver add another dimension.

Cheers,
Matt Sheherd
www.aquaseen.com

#4 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:09 AM

Am glad to think that the composition has some potential...and the black and white format evokes a response..

To Pam: The diver caught my eye...just liked her position in the frame of the scene...just felt 'potential' so I just pulled the camera up and fired. I do agree the fish are everywhere sadly...I would've liked the diver a bit clearer from the fish..they are like swarming flies these bream!

To Matt: Yes would certainly be worth trying next time..:-)

Thank u both :-)
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

I think it also would have been better if the diver were swimming into the frame. I think the fact she is swimming out of the frame adds to the confusion of the bubbles and fish as the eye does not really focus on the diver.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#6 CamelToad

CamelToad

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

I like the composition and editing.

That said, I think your watermark is too big and too prominent, thus (for me) it really distracts from your image.

-James

My Flikr