Photo
- - - - -

ULCS arms and clamps a problem in carry-on?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bfdc

bfdc

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

trying to distribute my packing and was wondering if the TSA folks would view ULCS double ball arms and clamps as an issue?

thx in advance

#2 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

I never had issues, done lots of flights between europe-asia and asia-australia with a bunch of different airlines.

Safe travels!
Morten

#3 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3015 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Same here, clamps and arms have never been an issue.

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#4 Canes05

Canes05

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

Agree with the above posters... ULCS arms and clamps always in the carry-on and never had an issue.

Joe

#5 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

I have never had a problem. Used to get my carry on bag with housing, strobes, camera, etc, stopped everytime. But haven't even had the bag pulled. Inthink they are used to seeing these items in h carry ons. I do put my tools in the checked bag however.

#6 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3015 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Kirk is right to put all the tools in the bag that goes in the belly of the plane. Even the very small ones. I seem to forget on the way home for some reason and they always pull my jewelers screwdrivers and allen wrenches out at the xray machine. I think I'm on my fourth set. I blame it on the rum.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#7 bfdc

bfdc

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

thx for that heads up...I knew about the more "dangerous looking" tools - [though I am told by a buddy recently coming out of Cayman that they seem to pass on diving scissors for some reason (blunt edge?) but took his crescent wrench and others] -- , but I was about to put my single hex wrench in my think tank carryon, but I guess I will pass now. Sheesh....will they pull my plastic Sea and Sea tool to pull o-rings as well? only sort of ;-)

Edited by bfdc, 21 January 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#8 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I have a Sears tool bag, that I put all my camera and dive gear tools and then check that bag in a larger bag o go into the belly of the plane. I have the Sea and sea plastic oring tool as well and it is stowed in my Think Tank carry on bag. It have never been pulled!

#9 DocTock

DocTock

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

I just had my allen wrench set and wrench "removed" (= stolen) from my checked bag on a Bali-HK-LA trip.

Minor loss compared to the theft of my Passport on the flight from LA to HK...

Edited by DocTock, 16 June 2013 - 07:45 AM.

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine