#1 liquidguru

liquidguru

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Staying Alive....

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

We found this two shrimp, both of which we hadn't seen before. Does anyone have any idea on species?

This first one is a small shrimp, approx 1-1.5cm long. He was living on a hard plate coral, which is unusual. If you look very closely you can see it has very transparent legs and long transparent pincers that push out in front. It also has what look like very strange eyes coming out of the top of it's head.

[vimeohd]57780041[/vimeohd]

The second looks like a Coralliocaris sp. Though it's carapace looks like the Fingerprint Coral Shrimp, it's arms, pincers and tail have very different patterns. This makes me think that it could be a new type of Corlliocaris.
Like the other Coral Shrimp it lives exclusively in Acropora hard coral and is very difficult to find or video, as it is at the bottom of the coral branches, hidden from view.

[vimeohd]57780040[/vimeohd]

Sony XR500 - LMI Stingray+ G2 - 2x LMI Sola 4000 LEDs
Liquidguru's Website
My weekly Blog from Ambon, Indonesia

DIA_sig_new.png

#2 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

The first one is similar to what Art Anker - one of my shrimp gurus - has listed as a new species of Pliopontonia http://www.flickr.co...r_a/2950842833/ but the first row of 3 white spots across the back is different. The eyes are fairly typical - I bet it had them pointed up watching the strange monster with the bright lights. ;-))

I haven't been able to find photos of all the described Coralliocaris so I'm not sure about yours. It's similar to a recently described species, Coralliocaris sandyi. The only web picture I could find is of an overly relaxed or dead female and it's not very good. http://calphotos.ber... 4444 1009 1759 There's a photo in the new Humann & Deloach Reef Creature Identification-Tropical Pacific. Yours is somewhat different than their's in having stronger brighter color on the legs, claws & telson, the spots are bigger, and it lacks a white stripe on the eye stalks. The color & size of the spots will vary in shrimp as the chromatophores expand & contract so that may not be significant but the white stripe on the eyes might be. I haven't been able to get the description of sandyi so again, I'm not sure.

#3 liquidguru

liquidguru

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Staying Alive....

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Many thanks, as always, Leslie, for your reply.

The first one is similar to what Art Anker - one of my shrimp gurus - has listed as a new species of Pliopontonia http://www.flickr.co...ro;š but the first row of 3 white spots across the back is different. The eyes are fairly typical - I bet it had them pointed up watching the strange monster with the bright lights. ;-))

I thought it looked like a Pliopontonia, but couldn't find an exact reference. Unfortunately I cannot see your link, as I think something went wrong with your link reference (and on the link below). The eyes always seemed to be pointed up, even when other guests were taking photos and not shining big monster eyes at them Posted Image

I haven't been able to find photos of all the described Coralliocaris so I'm not sure about yours. It's similar to a recently described species, Coralliocaris sandyi. The only web picture I could find is of an overly relaxed or dead female and it's not very good. http://calphotos.ber...€š There's a photo in the new Humann & Deloach Reef Creature Identification-Tropical Pacific. Yours is somewhat different than their's in having stronger brighter color on the legs, claws & telson, the spots are bigger, and it lacks a white stripe on the eye stalks. The color & size of the spots will vary in shrimp as the chromatophores expand & contract so that may not be significant but the white stripe on the eyes might be. I haven't been able to get the description of sandyi so again, I'm not sure.

Yes, I found the C. sandyi a few weeks ago:

[vimeohd]49092628[/vimeohd]

and thought this one looked different.

so many shrimp....so little time....

Cheers,

Kaj

Sony XR500 - LMI Stingray+ G2 - 2x LMI Sola 4000 LEDs
Liquidguru's Website
My weekly Blog from Ambon, Indonesia

DIA_sig_new.png

#4 BrianM

BrianM

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Drinking, Diving and Debauchery, but not necessarily in that order

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

The first shrimp seems similar to Pliopontonia furtiva. Artur's photo that he calls Pliopontonia cf. furtiva is even closer
http://www.flickr.co...r_a/3443111004/
Brian

"Downgrade, downgrade, you know it makes sense!"
Canon G9 & G7 in modified Canon WP-DC21 & WP-DC11 housings, 2 x Inon UCL-165 macro lens, no strobe, just internal flash.

Photos Profile