• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dan swain

Dan swain

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hi im in KL Malaysia for 10 days on the 26th of this month just wondered if anyone knew any dive locations and dive centers.

Many thanks Dan,

#2 iDreamOfBubbles

iDreamOfBubbles

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

How far are you willing to go, and what's your budget?

If you're to travel a little bit longer, than Sipadan!!!!
Some of the best diving in Asia, and only two flights, a car ride, and a short car ride away! You may not have any lucky getting a permit, or even finding a place to stay on Mabul at such a short notice, but I believe it's the off season, so you never know.

If Sip doesn't doesn't work out, then maybe hop on a flight to Phuket, Thailand, and do some day-trips, or see if you could catch a last-minute liveaboard to the Similans.

Best of luck

#3 Blondie09

Blondie09

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Redang island is supposed to be fairly good. It's an overnight trip on a bus/ferry.

If you get time/visa, sipadan is amazing. and well worth the trek.

#4 Dan swain

Dan swain

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hi thanks for your responses

I fancy sipadan but only going to be doing 3 days diving in Malaysia so im guna save sipadan for when i have more time. Im traveling to thailand after Malaysia so just want some were near by to blow the cobwebs off =]

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

Perhentian and Aur isn't bad either. Avoid Tioman.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 gumbyDives

gumbyDives

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

I spent a few days on Tioman in Aug 2011. The diving wasn't memorable for me, but it was a fine place to get wet. Nothing I saw would lead me to avoid Tioman, but I wouldn't build a dive vacation around it either... I dove with one of the foreign-run shops at the edge of town. Tiger Reef (?) had good rock formations and nice topside scenery with snorkling. That and a small sunk fishing boat are about all I do remember.

I recall there are frequent flights from KL directly to Tioman. We drove from Melaka (south of KL) to the port town and took a ferry over. That journey took ~6 hours. We were happy with the Berjaya resort, but there's plenty of backpacker through boutique hotel options - if you can find them online. We did Berjaya primarily because it was hard to get information about the lodging options ahead of time. We showed up a day early and stayed at a backpacker joint on the north end of the island for a night before walking south to Berjaya.

Edited by gumbyDives, 24 January 2013 - 01:32 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: recommendations