• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nortoda1

nortoda1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

Just received my 2 Z240s, to replace my aging DS125 and I like :-).
I have historically shot in manual with the ike's, now with the Z240s I see there is an external auto option. I gave it a try last night (not underwater) and was impressed with the results. My question is how well does it work? I am aware the stobes must be pointing at the subject, so I'm guessing its not really a great option for WA. What about macro? What situations does it work well and when does it not?

Advice/experience appreciated.

p.s. I am using a D300 in MDX300

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1101 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

External Auto works relatively well, but requires lots of subject reflectance. Not as accurate as S-TTL, but could be more consistent than a someone who isn't familiar with manual strobe exposure.

It works best if the strobes are are pointed directly at your subject, so backscatter may be an issue.

#3 nortoda1

nortoda1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

Thanks Ryan. Manual it is then

#4 leepix

leepix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Ships, boats and diving

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Because I have a Canon S90 with no flash TTL, I use EA on my Inon D-2000 a lot and get good results, but like Ryan says you got to point the strobe AT the subject since it has to read a reflection.  I call EA a flash meter built into the flash head.   Usually good results for my kind of shooting - FLA coast and medium sized critters.