1 reply to this topic

#1 kieran

kieran

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

Hi folks,

Please could people offer advice regarding the use of a subsee + 5 with a compact P&S and using a dive torch as a focus light.

Having read through the past forums two main issues arise because I'm a bit stupid/easily confused and a kinaesthetic learner.

What size range of critters (all of the critter) will i be able to shoot with a subsee +5 directly mounted on my Fix S100 housing?

Will an inexpensive dive torch used as a focus light and my inexperience prove too frustrating and would the Inon UCL 165(or equivalent) be a better bet, albeit less magnification.

I would like to add that i enjoy a challenge.

cheers

Kieran

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

I guess the question is what is that you cannot shoot right now? It is not just a matter of magnification but also optical quality
It is not exactly possible to predict what is the smallest critter you can shoot with a lens
The Subsee on paper is a +5 the Inon is a +6 so stronger albeit marginally
If you look at optics theory a +5 gives you an object that is 2.25x the original and a +6 an object that is 2.5x the original however that is not really the reality as you are not going to be on top of the fish at the minimum distance most likely you will zoom in at telephoto end from half foot or thereabout not necessarily this will be 2.5x larger than if you were at wide end at very close range

For what concerns focus light you want to aim and forget so a torch is inadequate you need something at least 45 degrees, a torch is around 20 so not good, you would end up spending time aiming the torch and the shot, bad idea

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog