• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

Just returned from a long trip and find I cannot convert any of the NEF files taken with the D800.

I have used this camera successfully since last August. I have got the latest ACR but no luck. I can see the thumbnails in View NX2 but cannot open anything.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Is there a solution?

Thnks.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1528 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Are you saying that in August you could open them and now they won't open with the same software? LR 4.3 certainly opens them.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

John, i really pray for your soul and your files that you don't have THIS problem:
http://wetpixel.com/...hl=+d800 +files

I never used the provided Nikon Software and never had any issue with Lightroom from version 1 till the recent 4.3

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#4 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

So now I'm back home in the UK.

I downloaded the cards directly to another laptop via Nikon Transfer. Everything is OK. I transfered these files back to the offending laptop. All OK. However, when I try to download the cards directly to the offending laptop, they will not open. Ergo: It's Nikon Transfer on that laptop that is corrupting the files.

It seems a backup laptop is essential if using Nikon Transfer !!!

Edited by John Bantin, 26 January 2013 - 10:23 PM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#5 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

You might not have the right drivers installed in that computer. That was a problem a while back with some larger cards.
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#6 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:35 AM

What's intriguing is the fact that I have done four previous trips away with the identical computer/camera/card combination and had no problem before. No other software has been added either so I guess that Nikon Transfer (2) has just thrown a wobbly.

Edited by John Bantin, 27 January 2013 - 04:36 AM.

#7 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

Experienced same kind of problem with two different laptops. Attributed it to faulty cards and one external drive. Thx for raising the issue John. Will do some additional tests... Think I am going to switch to Canon grrrrrr.....

Should ask my friends from Canadian Press News Agency.... They recemtly switched their entire stable of Canon products to Nikon...

Where are my Kodachrome and Nikonos?
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#8 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

Just don't use Nikon ViewNX or other Nikon transfer software.
I copy and past my files from the card to the had disk and open them then with Lightroom.
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#9 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Have you changed cards? There are some card issues particularly with Nikon Software. Nikon software sucks. I have not had a single issue with downloads on Aperture, and have not heard of any with Lightroom. Even just using Bridge is probably a better alternative to Nikon Software. Niko Capture on the other hand seems to work fine, but even then capturing directly into Aperture works even better, as I am sure is the case with Lightroom.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#10 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

When I first got a D700, there was no option but to use the Transfer software. I met Rene Lippman out in Bali who had a new D300 and could not drag and drop as he had with his D200 so he had to load the Nikon software too. Nobody told me I could drag and drop now and open with CS6. Thank goodness I can!

Edited by John Bantin, 27 January 2013 - 08:26 AM.

#11 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

We simply dragged and dropped files in Windows. Then we opened some of them in Capture NX2... but we had our laptop a version that was probably dated. (We never had the problem on the main computer in our studio since we installed the latest versions last July. We are also keeping a close look on the memory cards. All are Sandisk.
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#12 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

We simply dragged and dropped files in Windows. Then we opened some of them in Capture NX2... but we had our laptop a version that was probably dated. (We never had the problem on the main computer in our studio since we installed the latest versions last July. We are also keeping a close look on the memory cards. All are Sandisk.

I nearly dropped my D800 out of Windows, I was so frustrated! Thank goodness I wear a Mac.

#13 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Always feel we should go Mac... Multimedia software keeps us in Windows environment despite our stable of iPods, iPhones and iPads... Someday...
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#14 water buffalo

water buffalo

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

You mention ACR in your description of the problem. Just to clarify, ACR - Adobe Camera Raw - is an Adobe product. It has nothing to do with Nikon software. Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Lightroom, etc., require it for raw file processing.

It is no longer recommended to use the standalone Nikon Transfer program. Use Transfer that is part of ViewNX 2. Nikon says the standalone Transfer software is "for older computers only." (You will have to click on "Nikon Transfer" or scroll down to the Nikon Transfer section to see it.)

In Nikon's description of ViewNX 2, they state (last bullet), "Please note that the transfer function will not transfer images from serial connected cameras. Use of a memory card reader is recommended." You did not mention how you were transferring, but I thought I'd mention it.

You may know all of this but I was not clear on how you were actually trying to transfer your images.
Nikon D300 & D70s, Ikelite housings, DS-125

#15 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Thanks Water Buffalo. I have been using a card reader since I got the D800. That was one of the first things I discovered. I now know to drag and drop just as I did with the D200 instead of using Nikon Transfer2. For a time you couldn't do that (with CS4?) but I'm up and running again. Thanks everyone. I've still got the D800. I didn't toss it out of the window in frustration.

#16 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

The D800 has a very speedy USB 3.0 port and can be directly plugged into any laptop with a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port. You can then drag and drop the files directly to your storage device of choice. You don't need to use a separate card reader if you don't have one available. The D800 (and every other Nikon DSLR I've ever used) is a card reader when plugged in to USB. On your computer you should see it mount as just another Disk.

#17 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Sting Ray. I haven't tried since August but I'll give that another go - although I always take the cards out during a trip to use as back-up (luckily as it happens) so it's no imposition to use a separate card reader.

#18 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

As you were - Nikon Transfer 2 uninstalled and re-installed on the offending laptop and all's right with the world!