Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

It appears that the new Egyptian government has now given the go ahead to start construction of a land sea bridge that will go from Sharm to Saudi. The plan is to use the island if Tiran as a stepping stone. I hope that the beautiful reefs don't have to suffer because of this.
http://www.egyptinde...-moving-forward

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#2 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

If the bridge has a toll fee, as it probably will, it (Egypt / Saudi) will do well out of the '000s of north African prigrims wishing to do Hajj. However the span across the straights will be a feat of engineering, not least to enable the access of very large vessels to the Gulf.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#3 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2115 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

If built, you can kiss goodbye to the reefs in the Strait of Tiran: they're obvious sites to place supporting pylons.

I see from the link that environmental concerns are widely held to be Westerners expressing anti-Islamic prejudice.

I'm starting to think that I shall never go back to the Red Sea...

... although I'm not sure if that's because I won't be welcome, or because it won't be worth visiting.

Edited by tdpriest, 31 January 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#4 dragan

dragan

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about it, there are far more strategic projects in Saudi which are way behind.