• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Before you all scream at me, yes, it's possible to stack these two together. I have the adapter, I just don't have the diopters yet. You can only buy the adapter from Malaysia.

Anyway, has anyone try to stack them together even hand held and see what happen? Is it impossible to focus, or the magnification is just not worth it? I'm thinking some situation like tiny shrimp, or fish eggs could use that kind of magnification.

#2 swgdesign

swgdesign

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:03 AM

I spke to Reefnet in USA about this as I was interested in stacking their lenses but their advise to me was that there would be come major vignetting when stacked because of how bulky these lenses are!

You'd be best to stack a Dyron and a subsee; which is what I will be doing.

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:18 AM

Make sure you've got your macro lens to minimum focus before stacking dioptres. I see so many shots that people took with a +10 or more, which could have easily been taken with a weaker dioptre if the macro lens was at minimum focus. 

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

Subsee is putting threads on their diopters but not to stack them just to add filters they advise against stacking.

From personal experience two Inon UCL165 end up with working distance around 4cm between the front of the lens and the subject, less than that there is no space to illuminate the subject. This gives with my old canon S95  capture are of 2.2x1.4 cm that is really small and only worth for pygmy seahorses or squat anemone lobsters

The dyron + subsee 5 combination will be slightly less powerful but still leave only 4cm as the subsee is really thick.

As a matter of fact more than 12 effective diopters is not practically workable and most times working at full zoom a single 5/6 diopter still gives you around 1:1 on a compact and 1.5:1 on a SLR with a 100mm macro lens which is absolutely plenty

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#5 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Thanks guys, sounds like I should get the Subsee +5, and if it's not enough, then I should consider the Dyron. My budget has shrunk a bit, this might just work out for me, he he.

#6 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

For the panasonic LX7 5 diopters are not sufficient to achieve macro, actually not even 6 and there are no 7 diopters on the market

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#7 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Alex-

I don't know about +10 diopters working that way. My experience is that there is a very short focus window. I tend to get closer than minimum focus distance, then back out until the subject is in focus. It doesn't seem to stay in focus very long if I keep moving. The +5 does act as you say, however.

-Tom