34 replies to this topic

#21 BDSC

BDSC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Working out, Fishing, NFL Football

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

I'll try it in my garden tub one evening this week.

#22 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1990 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

Kaj, I think I have asked this before, but is your Gorillapod metal or plastic?

#23 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

I think Kaj's Gor.pod is plastic. I have exactly same one.

Love to know if there are metal ones available. Marine grade aluminium and I'll take 10 please. May be I could just make one Posted Image Any takers?

Cheers
David

Attached Images

• DaveGorPodL&M.jpg

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#24 liquidguru

liquidguru

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Staying Alive....

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

Kaj, I think I have asked this before, but is your Gorillapod metal or plastic?

Yup, plastic, and the same one I've had for the last three years and it's still as tight as a ***** ***** (fill in the blanks as desired). Maybe all this dirty Lembeh water keeps it clogged up and stiff...

David, the only difference is my has red markings all over it, not sure if that means it is a different model...

Sony XR500 - LMI Stingray+ G2 - 2x LMI Sola 4000 LEDs
Liquidguru's Website
My weekly Blog from Ambon, Indonesia

DIA_sig_new.png

#25 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:23 AM

Mine has white borders. Same size but different paint job :)

This may sound contradictory but by using the G. pod everyday you actually keeps it in good shape as the salt water does not dry up between the joints. I have not use my for over a year and I could harvest a tea spoonful of salt from mine...LOL

Hey kaj I will be coming over during late March with some friends. I am staying next door but could hook up with you and Barb some evening for a drink tea?

cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#26 liquidguru

liquidguru

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:20 AM

Hey kaj I will be coming over during late March with some friends. I am staying next door but could hook up with you and Barb some evening for a drink tea?

We would be upset if you didn't come for a tea drink

Liquidguru's Website

DIA_sig_new.png

#27 BDSC

BDSC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

Kaj,

I see you have the 4000's for your lights. I know each shot can be different but in general, what power levels are you using when shooting macro. Those things turned up would be a heck of a lot of light.

#28 liquidguru

liquidguru

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Kaj,

I see you have the 4000's for your lights. I know each shot can be different but in general, what power levels are you using when shooting macro. Those things turned up would be a heck of a lot of light.

For macro work I have them on their lowest power setting 98% of the time (this also means the lights last a long time between charges :) ). I then also manually adjust the exposure down, until it looks good. This enables me to avoid blowing out the whites and gives you continuity when you are zoomed all the the way and then pull back for a wider shot. If you don't do this then you get very variable results. This took me over a year to work out and has made a big difference.

Liquidguru's Website

DIA_sig_new.png

#29 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

For macro, I run one Sola 4000 at 2 out of 7 and one at 3 out of 7. With the camera AE adjustment somewhere between -1/3 and -2, depending on the subject and background, to reduce the risk of highlight blowout.

I usually position the lights in a classic portrait approach, one back and wide (fill) and one closer and high (highlight).

Regards
Peter

#30 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1990 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

Love to know if there are metal ones available. Marine grade aluminium and I'll take 10 please. May be I could just make one Posted Image Any takers?

I don't know about marine grade, but the Gorillapod Focus has "machined aluminium sockets" in its legs. And it costs twice as much as the all-plastic Gorillapod SLR-Zoom.

(Just to recap, I bought a load of Gorillapod SLR-Zoom a few years ago and modified it to use as light arms as well as tripod legs. They have all gone floppy and now more joints are superglued up than aren't. It sounds like others haven't had the same problem.)

#31 escape

escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

I don't know about marine grade, but the Gorillapod Focus has "machined aluminium sockets" in its legs. And it costs twice as much as the all-plastic Gorillapod SLR-Zoom.

(Just to recap, I bought a load of Gorillapod SLR-Zoom a few years ago and modified it to use as light arms as well as tripod legs. They have all gone floppy and now more joints are superglued up than aren't. It sounds like others haven't had the same problem.)

I use both (SLR-Zoom x 2, Focus x 3ea) and same problem with SLR-Zoom but Focus still doing fine.
btw, Focus is negative and SLR-Zoom is slightly positive.

Edited by escape, 05 February 2013 - 01:18 AM.

#32 BDSC

BDSC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

I really appreciate everyone who has posted. A lot of good info that is helping me out.

Thanks Again!

#33 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1990 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

I use both (SLR-Zoom x 2, Focus x 3ea) and same problem with SLR-Zoom but Focus still doing fine.
btw, Focus is negative and SLR-Zoom is slightly positive.

Do you think it would be possible to buy 2 x Focus, dislocate the joints, and make a double-length legs? (I did this with my SLR-Zoom)

Would the Focus be rigid enough for that, or better go with something like Xit 404 or DIY legs using strobe arms?

#34 escape

escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Do you think it would be possible to buy 2 x Focus, dislocate the joints, and make a double-length legs? (I did this with my SLR-Zoom)

Would the Focus be rigid enough for that, or better go with something like Xit 404 or DIY legs using strobe arms?

I didn't try that but might be possible but I think you need something like "Loc-Line Assembly tool".
Anyway for video rig, I recommend Xit 404 twist clamp leg, ultralight tripod leg or strobe arm (if you don't need extendable).

#35 BDSC

BDSC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

I received my Gorillapod Focus today and it seems very well made. I'm sure it's going to work out nicely.