Photo
- - - - -

Anyone mount an action cam like GoPro to an Ikelite housing?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 water buffalo

water buffalo

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

I'm interested in adding some video capture to my underwater stills photography. It doesn't look too promising to get a new rig anytime soon so I've been thinking about the addition of a small video setup to my Ikelite/D300 DSLR housing.

Current possibilities are the GoPro Hero3 or 2, or maybe even a Veho Muvi HD. Both cameras come with all kinds of mounts but I don't know if there's one for what I want to do.

Anyone have a solution? An image or link would be great if you've actually done it or seen one out there.

I guess I'm wondering how these super wide-angle cameras can shoot beyond the housing lens port without including it. I don't want to add a lot of height but is there a way to mount the video cam a little forward, either on top or bottom?

In case it needs to be stated, I have no experience with this type of camera and am very open to suggestions. Final product is hopefully a slideshow with a little video for family and friends and maybe posted to youtube.

Edited by water buffalo, 01 February 2013 - 10:14 AM.

Nikon D300 & D70s, Ikelite housings, DS-125

#2 SPP

SPP

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

Go to :
http://www.ulcs.com/

Look for GoPro accesories. It uses standard GoPro tripod and has the standard ball from UL to mount on any cameras, with clamp of course.
That ball is already loctite-ded to the GP Tripod and sold with GP tripod.

With ball to ball extension like this one :
http://www.nauticam....arms/index.html

You can place your GoPro much forward if say ur DLSR dome may get in the way of GoPro 100 degrees view in WIDE mode.
All u need will be 2 clamps and the above mentioned parts.

Stick to HD3 Black and not silver for UW video.

Have fun....

#3 water buffalo

water buffalo

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

It looks like this could work. Keeping the mount centered on the housing will allow use of the right handle for a second strobe or video light and give a better perspective for anything filmed close.

I can start with Ultralight's BA-HB ball adapter in the top of the housing. Hopefully the thread size on the stud matches the threads on the Ike housing. The long clamp AC-CSL will give me a little reach and the ball mount AD-GO will connect to the tripod mount on the GoPro housing.

Thanks for this idea. Now to decide on a camera. The HD3 black looks like the way to go.
Nikon D300 & D70s, Ikelite housings, DS-125