Simple weekend project

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rumblefish

rumblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography and wreckdiving. Contributing editor to dive magazines in The Netherlands and Belgium.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

Hi all,
Just wanted to show a fibersnoot I built over one weekend, fairly simple project and made to fit my Sea&Sea YS90 strobe. Materials I used are two loc-line arms (1/2"), a plastic cap (8 cm diameter) and about 50 feet of 1,5 mm fiber. The miniature softboxes were made of the top of two hair gel tubes with the front cut from a plastic milk bottle. I'll post some pics as soon as it gets wet.
Best regards,
--Rob

Attached Images

• snoot-13.jpg
  • snoot-14.jpg
  • snoot-18.jpg

Nikon D600, Nikon D80, Tokina 10-17mm FE, Sigma 14mm, 24mm macro, Nikon 60mm macro, Sigma 180mm macro. Nauticam NA-D600, 45° viewfinder, Subal ND80, GS180 viewfinder. Sea&Sea YS350 and YS90. ULCS arms.

#2 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:24 AM

Hi Rob,

Very cool project. I had a similar one but with less fibers. For the summer I'm planning to make a bigger one like yours (maybe with 3 arms). I had difficulties to find a proper nut for fixing the screw part of the loc-line. (It's not standard in Germany) Can you tell me your source.
Do you have good on-line ordering option (in Europe) for Loc-line??
What kind of cap did you use?
Many thanks in advance

Marcell
Marcell Nikolausz
Minolta Dynax 7000i, KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D, sony a100, Ikelite housing for 7000i and sony a100, two Ikelite Ai strobes
Portfolio: http://www.flickr.co...57604023368278/

#3 rumblefish

rumblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography and wreckdiving. Contributing editor to dive magazines in The Netherlands and Belgium.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

Hi Marcell,
I looked for Loc-Line in Europe, but eventually I bought it directly from ModularHose.com Good service, very responsive to some questions I had. Shipping rates are negotiable, too.
The parts I used were the 1/2" sample kit (product nr 50813) and two types of nylon locknuts: 3/8" NPT (52604) and 1/2" NPT (52605). You have to order these separately as these locknuts are not included in the sample kit.
The cap is from the plumbing department in a hardware store.

Here are some snapshots I just took to see the effect. (uncropped)

Attached Images

• Snoottest-3.jpg
  • Snoottest-2.jpg
  • Snoottest-1.jpg

Edited by rumblefish, 06 February 2013 - 06:09 AM.

Nikon D600, Nikon D80, Tokina 10-17mm FE, Sigma 14mm, 24mm macro, Nikon 60mm macro, Sigma 180mm macro. Nauticam NA-D600, 45° viewfinder, Subal ND80, GS180 viewfinder. Sea&Sea YS350 and YS90. ULCS arms.

#4 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3055 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

Hi Rob,
What does the light look like compared to an unsnooted strobe with the power turned down? I love the ingenuity I'm just trying to understand the advantage of the new system. I'm wondering if we could get close to the same lighting effect by putting your "soft box" right on the strobe.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#5 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

Hi Marcell,
I looked for Loc-Line in Europe, but eventually I bought it directly from ModularHose.com Good service, very responsive to some questions I had. Shipping rates are negotiable, too.

Thanks for the quick reply. I also used ModularHose.com before. They have good prices but In Germany I had to to pay VAT and custom fee and it took a bit long to get the items. That's why I was looking for a European distributor with a good on-line shop. Once I ordered from a local dealer but at the end it was as expensive as ordering from the US.

Your sample photos look promising.

Best

Marcell
Marcell Nikolausz
Minolta Dynax 7000i, KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D, sony a100, Ikelite housing for 7000i and sony a100, two Ikelite Ai strobes

#6 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

But I wouldn't call it snoot, because it has no snoot effect (you may change the diffusor to a nozzle to get snoot effect). You split the light in an an easy to adjust way. It's like a twin flash.
I will make the arms a bit longer to be able to do some side lighting.
Marcell Nikolausz

#7 rumblefish

rumblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

Hi Rob,
What does the light look like compared to an unsnooted strobe with the power turned down? I love the ingenuity I'm just trying to understand the advantage of the new system. I'm wondering if we could get close to the same lighting effect by putting your "soft box" right on the strobe.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,
thanks for the comment. I think Marcell puts it right, I guess I'm trying to replicate the effect of using two strobes on a much smaller scale. Here is a photo I just took with my normal strobe setup: the YS350 on the left (dialed down to 1/4 power) and the YS90 on the right on -5. f32 at 1/200.
Best regards,
--Rob

Attached Images

• Snoottest-9.jpg