Photo
- - - - -

Iconic Underwater Images, Can you name them?

Best Underwater photos ever Iconic Images

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3029 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Hi folks,
I’m putting together a talk for the LAUPS for April and in it I mention the iconic photographs we’ve seen. I got to wondering which images people here feel are really at that level. The absolute best of the best, there may only be twenty or even fewer ever made. When you think of the most memorable underwater photo you have ever seen, which ones come to mind?

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#2 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Two pix by Louis Boutan come to mind; his self portraits in diver dress and in a swimming suit.

Edited by Tom_Kline, 06 February 2013 - 08:49 PM.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#3 Kevster

Kevster

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Most iconic image must be the Nat Geo photo of the diver standing on the sandy sea floor next to a large whale.

Edited by Kevster, 06 February 2013 - 09:39 PM.

GH2, NA-GH2, 8mm,14mm,25mm,45mm,14-42x mm,14-140mm,100-300mm

#4 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3029 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Two pix by Louis Boutan come to mind; his self portraits in diver dress and in a swimming suit.

Thanks Tom, a quick google search found this article on Mr Boutan.
I have to admit that I was not very knowledgable of his contribution, I'm really glad now that I ask the question.

Kevster, that is the first image that comes to my mind too. It's Brian Skerry's image of his assistant and a southern Right whale. That one is very special.

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

Kevster, that is the first image that comes to my mind too. It's Brian Skerry's imageof his assistant and a southern Right whale. That one is very special.

Steve

I always like to put a shout out for my buddy Mauricio Handler, the 'assistant' in the image. He never gets any credit. A great photographer in his own right, and responsible for helping set up any number of the great Skerry and Doubilet images
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#6 elbuzo

elbuzo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Interests:Photography + cave diving

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:50 AM

Hola Steve

Glad to see you back in to business !

As iconic images that came to my mind:

Sharks feeding on sardines that won the BWPOY some years ago by Doug Perrine

Winged angel - b&w photo of a sealion by Ernest Brooks III

Splitshot of a stingray and sailboat at Caymans by Doubilet

The leopard seal gaping mouth by Paul Nicklen

Graywhale with kelps at surface ( although not u/w ) by Howard Hall

The southern right whale by Brian Skerry with Mauricio Handler standing in the front

Barracuda school circling a diver by Doubilet

Two tiger sharks at sunset by Doug Perrine

Hope that helps

Regards

JA

#7 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

Steve, here is a link to a complete PDF of Boutan's book on u/w photography: http://gallica.bnf.f...8/bpt6k10250505

As for iconic images, they are too numerous. Lists should include pioneering work done by Luis Marden, Bates Littlehales and a host of others from all over the world.
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#8 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

I agree with Michel that the number of iconic images over time and from around the world would far exceed twenty or thirty. I would also add that some of the images would be more iconic to the dive community while others would be well known outside the dive community as well.

One such image was taken by Flip Schulke who passed in 2008 at age 77. Schulke was best known for his civil rights photography but was also one of the pioneers of underwater photography. Schulke's book Underwater Photography for Everyone, first edition 1979 along with the Jim and Cathy Church books were the bibles for aspiring underwater photographers at the time.

Schulke worked for NASA photographing astronaut pool training for national and international magazines, was the first to photograph an orca in captivity and developed several custom W/A lenses.

The most iconic of Flip Schulke's photographs was of one of the most iconic athletes of our time, Muhammad Ali. At the time the photo was taken Ali, born Cassius Clay was 19 years old and still called Clay. The story of how he tricked Schulke into taking the photo to get it published in LIFE magazine is well worth reading. I have attached a link to the photo and story, see if you recall this iconic image.

Phil Rudin

http://pictureyear.b...5/greatest.html

#9 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

I agree with Phil. Flip Schulke, Douglas Faulkner, Gerry Greenberg, Bates Littlehales, Bill Curtsigner and many others including David Doubilet, probably the best known one these days were pioneers and David is still pushing the envelope on a daily basis. Jim & Cathy Church taught us underwater photography, especially those like me who were living in remote "foreign" places where scuba divers were so few... let alone u/w photographers. They set the wheel in motion and inspired generations. All those who followed in their footsteps benefited from their innovative techniques or unique look on the u/w realm. Some tools may have seem primitive compared to contemporary imaging computers we carry in our housings. in the end, the only thing that matters, to paraphrase DD's book title: Water, Light, Time. Maybe Wetpixel could start a virtual gallery of iconic images... and the story behind them... food for thought.
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#10 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

I agree with Phil. Flip Schulke, Douglas Faulkner, Gerry Greenberg, Bates Littlehales, Bill Curtsigner and many others including David Doubilet, probably the best known one these days were pioneers and David is still pushing the envelope on a daily basis. Jim & Cathy Church taught us underwater photography, especially those like me who were living in remote "foreign" places where scuba divers were so few... let alone u/w photographers. They set the wheel in motion and inspired generations. All those who followed in their footsteps benefited from their innovative techniques or unique look on the u/w realm. Some tools may have seem primitive compared to contemporary imaging computers we carry in our housings. in the end, the only thing that matters, to paraphrase DD's book title: Water, Light, Time. Maybe Wetpixel could start a virtual gallery of iconic images... and the story behind them... food for thought.

Michel - I really like your idea of a gallery of iconic images over the life of UW photography on wetpixel and their stories. And maybe even why we think they are iconic.

Let us know what you come up with Steve. Don't forget to consider images you consider iconic and why. - DiverPam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#11 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3029 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

Gracias Jose, your list is close to mine with some additions I’m not familiar with and I’m going to have to track down.
The term Iconic photograph may be confusing. Lots of folks here on Wetpixel had a conversation on this thread a couple of years ago about what makes photos special. We made up some terms to rank images from snap shots to world class best of the best ever and came up with this chart as one way to talk about them. "Good" photos are a big step above normal snapshots and are not easy to make. Dive magazines are filled with Good photos. "Admired images are the ones we see winning competitions. They are those special images that make other underwater photographers go Wow! The special class of images we termed "Amazing" is reserved for those very special images that connect emotionally and tell stories. Bruce Yates Cheshire cat grin shark image that won the the Oceans category of Nature’s Best Photography is a good example. I don't want to get too hung up on the terminology. Is Awesome better than Astounding? Is Epic better than Amazing? It's the quality of the images that I'm interested in and what makes them special.

Photography Growth chart.jpg

The idea was to start to think about what makes great images great. It’s clearly more than luck. Thinking about photos this way which Iconic images come to mind?
If you ask people who aren't underwater photographers to name an outstanding underwater image that affected them personally which ones do you think would be on the list?

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

#12 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3029 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

By the way I like the idea of a Gallery of Iconic images too. Maybe we can at least link to them in this thread for starters.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

#13 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

Steve, the link idea is a good start. Maybe Eric and/or others more involved in Wetpixel can look and see what could be done. Most of the contemporary photographers that all admires have online galleries and some major publications like NGM have their own iconic images galleries. Links could be interesting in this regard. What is most interesting is to add the story behind the image and read about the vision of the photographer. I couldn't care less about ISO/shutter speed/f/stop... What is important is the thinking behind the picture. I like the diagram, nice way of explaining what lies between snapshots (which can become iconic albeit accidentally) and images that show vision, innovation. Images that carry a message whatever it may be.
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#14 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2123 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

One man's "iconic" is another woman's "ho, hum"...

... and the suggestions are rather North American.

I have found a number of Alex Mustard's http://www.amustard.com/ images inspiring, and, yes, iconic. He's particularly alert to the possibilities of digital photography, and has a distinctive style that isn't influenced by the National Geographic house style that's influenced so many.

Here he is, hiding behind some dolphins:

Shear Water 2010 247 dolphins b.jpg

#15 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

I agree that the names cited before are North-American centric. Similarly talented people are found in Europe, Asia and Australia. And there must be many other unknown photographers who have produced iconic images that have yet to be seen by many audiences. This is in part why a gallery would help.
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#16 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3029 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Sorry for the confusion, I guess there are multiple definitions of the word iconic. The simplest and the one I was using was taking iconic to mean famous for being the best or most significant. I'm trying to discover what you folks think are the best underwater photographs you have ever seen. I realize it's subjective, all art is subjective. I'm not asking who you think is the best or most iconic photographer. (Tim, for the record I agree with you. If you ask me who the best underwater photographers are, Alex would be on my very short list).

Let's try again; Jose has listed some of his special images. He lives in North America so it's not a surprise that's his vision has that perspective. How is the list of special images different for our members and friends in other parts of the world? I'd really like to know. What do you believe are the best underwater photographs ever made?

Michel, I won't post others images here without their consent. I'm happy to link to their site and I love the idea of capturing the story behind the image. The fundamental goal here is to better understand how to make more creative, amazing images.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

#17 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10637 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Doug Perrines's sharks in bait balls.: Best action with natural shark predation EVER! Still can't understand how he had the balls to jump water with hundreds of feeding sharks alone, get bumped like silly candy and can come up with a shot like that!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#18 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3029 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Thanks Drew! I had the pleasure of spending a week on a boat with Doug in Dominica a couple of years ago and really admire what he's been able to accomplish. Do you have a favorite image you can link me too?

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

#19 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2123 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

Simple, but stunning: Alex' image of a lionfish against Snell's window.

#20 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3029 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

My favorite images from Alex are the lone shark on the sand and his multiple of the pygmy's, ........... or maybe the heart shaped pair of eels, or the pair of divers in the cave opening. I give up it's too hard to choose. I wonder what Alex thinks is his best image artistically?

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr