14 replies to this topic

#1 elbuzo

elbuzo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Photography + cave diving

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

I have seen the older posts but i want to have some fresh inputs based on experience at that particular situation, swimming hard following the fastest fish on the planet

#2 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Long spearfishing fins with carbon fibre blades give the most propulsion and return on your energy IMHO.

#3 MortenHansen

MortenHansen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Yup, long fins like the Gara 2000hp, great for currents as well! 

Can't say if the carbon fiber makes a difference, never tried them..

Have fun and try not to break the sound-barrier! :)

#4 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

You should however have reasonbly fit legs to  drive those Fins!

The stiffer the fins are the more requirement of leg strength and fitness!

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#5 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

and a lot of training to get rid nasty cramps you most likely will get in the beginning.

All people i know using the carbon blades are happy with them, except the price and that they are rather delicate.

Yes, the Cressi Gara 2000HP is probably the best one of those long blade free diving fins.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#6 Gary.Makai

Gary.Makai

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

I use a pair of Omer ice freediving fins....They are great. You will need a sock as mosrt of these fins can cause rubbing.

Brands to look at Omer, Cressi, Riffe, Esclapez, mares Razor Beuchat, and C4,

Expect to pay over 400 per pair for carbon fiber.

Find a freediving store and try a pair on before purchasing. the foot pockets vary in size and comfort. Look for replaceable blades.

These are all very long fins and will not fit in standard dive bags.Most are around 36" or more long.

#7 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

It's like asking what kind of running shoes to get for chasing chetahs........Just Sayin........

Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#8 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

It's like asking what kind of running shoes to get for chasing chetahs........Just Sayin........

A good Tele lense

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#9 Drink it!

Drink it!

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

I like sailfish!

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

I think you don't need the fastest fins. The differences between my long blades and my split find is less than 0.2 knots. If I were racing against another human being, that difference is significant. Against 12 knot whale or 20 knot sailfish, not so much!

If you are doing Isla Mujeres,  just hang with the baitball. You are never going to catch the fish if they bolt at speed. Learn how to control the baitball and you won't need to chase them. They'll come to you.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#11 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

I have reasonable results in terms of balance between long finning and cramps with a pair of cheaper Mares Avanti Quattro Power full foot for spearfishing, they are 4" longer than a pair of avanti quattro and with the full foot you get a good swing

The hard blades like the Cressi Gara are definitely better for sprints but they do get you tired so you need to practice a bit before you get there

If you have boots and fins right now and an inefficient blade there will be a major improvement going to a full foot and longer blade even if you don't get carbon hard blades

Another point to consider is that if you do get freediving fins you will need to carry them with you on boats every day and not leave them to others and they don't fit into standard mesh bags

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#12 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

These weird lookin things give the best speed- http://www.forcefin....ategory/51.html

Edited by DamonA, 06 April 2013 - 06:07 AM.

#13 elbuzo

elbuzo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Photography + cave diving

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

I ended buying the Cressi Sub Gara Professional  and it makes a difference .  So sorry to disregard with the ones that said the contrary above !  .  A fins which gives you a powerful propulsion can make possible to make a photo sometimes.

My experience was that the baitballs spent most of the times at about 10-15 ft deep  so most of the action was not at the surface and they were moving a lot . The long fins allowed me to go up and down very fast , with another type of fins i wouldn't be able to do it .

I agree that those fins are not suitable for everyone and also it takes some time to find the best kick technique but they work .

The thing i don't like is that they are so long that they don't fit in most of the dive bags and the blades can't be detached.

After the sailfish i went to Silver Banks to photograph the humpbacks and was able to photograph them closer to the bottom ( for a different perspective ) thanks to this fins.

#14 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

If you want to swim fast and maintain that speed, I recommend one of these:

Attached Images

• _ASC8623.jpg

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#15 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

I ended buying the Cressi Sub Gara Professional  and it makes a difference .  So sorry to disregard with the ones that said the contrary above !  .  A fins which gives you a powerful propulsion can make possible to make a photo sometimes.

My experience was that the baitballs spent most of the times at about 10-15 ft deep  so most of the action was not at the surface and they were moving a lot . The long fins allowed me to go up and down very fast , with another type of fins i wouldn't be able to do it .

I agree that those fins are not suitable for everyone and also it takes some time to find the best kick technique but they work .

The thing i don't like is that they are so long that they don't fit in most of the dive bags and the blades can't be detached.

After the sailfish i went to Silver Banks to photograph the humpbacks and was able to photograph them closer to the bottom ( for a different perspective ) thanks to this fins.

Sounds good!  If you have the power and endurance to drive them. Then they are really powerful!