• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Just saw this post on facebook from Scuba Diving Magazine about an upcoming photo competition. You guys have taught me well... always look over the rules. This looks like an unlimited rights grab forever.

Here is what I found when clicking on the link below which takes you to Scuba Diving Magazine's official site. It is a part of Bonnier Corporation.

"Fabulous Scuba Diving Photo Contest prizes rolling in: How about a 7-night stay for 1 at Utila's Deep Blue Resort? Enter here today: http://bit.ly/X6jRe7 -- Mary Frances. The 2013 Scuba Diving Photo Contest (the “Contest”) is sponsored by Scuba Diving magazine, a publication of Bonnier Corporation (“Sponsor”).

GENERAL RULES & LIMITATIONS: By entering, you represent that: (i) your entry is your own original work; and (ii) you own or have the rights to convey any and all right and title in any material submitted as part of your entry into the Contest. By entering, you grant to Sponsor a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to edit, publish, promote, republish at any time in the future and otherwise use your submission, along with your name and likeness, in any and all media for any purpose, without further permission, notice or compensation (except where prohibited by law)"

FYI - DiverPam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#2 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Nice catch. Always gotta read the fine print on these things!

Phil

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#3 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

I'm starting to think we should -with other photogaphy organization/community- write down a "perfect competition rules" associated to a label.
Each organisation can then decide to follow these guidelines and get the label, so every photographer know it's safe to participate. Without following the guidelines, no label, less participant, less photos.

That would be awesome and I would definitivly help on such a project. If anyone has strong shoulders enough... and time !

#4 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

I'm starting to think we should -with other photogaphy organization/community- write down a "perfect competition rules" associated to a label.

Something like this perhaps:-

http://artists-bill-...bill-of-rights/

Its worth checking the Artists Bill-of-Rights site to see if the competition you are thinking of entering is listed on the Rights-On or Rights-Off list before considering entry.

Of course, when contacted organisers often say 'But its not our intention..." but that's not what the terms say. After all, why would a rights grab term exist, but to do exactly that? If they don't need the rights, the term can be changed...Treat the terms & conditions as absolute. That is what the legals will treat as absolute.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#5 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

Whoa, these guys, of all people, should know better....

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr