echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

Hello, everyone. We have a new design! Notes about the new design are here:

http://wetpixel.com/...xels-new-design

Please be patient with us as we update the site over the next week or two. Please leave feedback here, both good and bad. If you see anything strange happening, let us know, and we'll get it fixed. We are super excited to have a new design, though!

A new design

Hello, readers. We are extremely excited to launch the new Wetpixel.com, which has been redesigned to more beautifully celebrate underwater photography and videography. We have a new section of the site called Full Frame, where we will publish photo essays featuring a string of beautiful, large pictures from contributors. Our first two installments of Full Frame feature incredible photographs by David Fleetham and Marcelo Krause.

The forums have been updated to the latest version of the software and supports the Tapatalk iOS app, which allows you to browser the Wetpixel forums from a native app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.

Please be patient with us while we allow the site to settle over the next week or two. We’ll be actively making changes to the site to migrate old features over and fix reported bugs. Speaking of bugs, if you see anything strange, please head over to the forums and let us know. You can also contact us directly if you would rather not post publicly.

Notes:

- The front page at Wetpixel has been made fully separate from the forums area. This means that your login to the forums area will not log you into the front page. Because this is how members used to comment on front page articles, this means that, for the time being, you cannot comment on front page articles. Soon, we plan to swap out the commenting system in front page posts to Disqus, which will open up articles commenting to everyone.

- The Picture of the Week contest is on hold, and will not be available until we migrate it over.

- The old Wetpixel Maps feature has been removed

Forums:

- Tapatalk, the iOS and Android forum app, has been enabled. The app is $2.99 and can be found in the App Store / Google Play / Amazon Kindle store, and you can use it to browse the Wetpixel forums directly from the app on your mobile devices. There is also a mobile browser version of the forums that works well.

- Forum emoticons are missing. If you have a requested emoticon you’d like to be re-enabled, please post a link to it here, along with the suggested smiley shortcut. :)

- There will be no cross-posting from the front page to the forums. As a result, the Front Page Posts forum has been removed.

- Forum posts between February 14 - 18 were lost during the migration. Apologies!

- The forum now supports the embedding of videos by pasting in video URLs. BBcode no longer works. The following services are supported:

YouTube 
Google Video 
MySpace Video 
GameTrailers 
Flickr Image Set 
MP3 
Vimeo 
Lytro 
Flickr Video 
Windows Media Player (hosted .wmv files)

Still images: jpg, gif, png

Known bugs:

- The Full Frame sidebar widget doesn’t (yet) show Full Frame articles.

- Old multi-page posts show up on a single page

eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 JimG

JimG

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Photography - underwater and avian, natural history

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

Noticed a few recent topics are missing in Critter ID

Also more recent posts in this thread are missing: http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=49522

Big job all round for you - good luck

Jim

Jim Greenfield - Canon 5D Mark 3/Aquatica
My Web Site

#3 PeteAtkinson

PeteAtkinson

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

I just posted in DSLRs "Nauticam D800 handle ergonomics - a solution" That's disappeared... Should I repost or wil

l it come back?

#4 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

Hey, Pete. Per the notes, all posts between Feb 14 and now were lost. I could try to bring them back, but it would be at the cost of more days of migration that I don't have. Posts while DNS propagates might have ended up on the old site. I haven't seen any posts disappear from this server, but if you see it again, let us know.

Also, try clearing your cookies and clearing your dns cache (Google search will find this). Or, wait until tomorrow. :) I'll disable the old server tomorrow so there is no questioning which server you are on. :)
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#5 PeteAtkinson

PeteAtkinson

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for the update Eric - I will do that!

#6 jander4454

jander4454

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:20 AM

It's looking good - with everything centered!
Well done and thanks

Sony NEX-5 in Nauticam with Inon D-2000 flashes

#7 Gary.Makai

Gary.Makai

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

Can't find link to contests or POTW. rest looks and works great

#8 Alexis

Alexis

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

Looks awesome on my ipad !
Alexis Tabah
http://www.tabah.org

#9 cneal

cneal

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:27 AM

A behavior change....

Before when I used the back button after reading an entry the entry was marked as read. Now I have to refresh the page.

A very small nit.

#10 buceo

buceo

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

same thing for me

#11 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

same thing for me

From the Article

http://wetpixel.com/...xels-new-design

- The Picture of the Week contest is on hold, and will not be available until we migrate it over

me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#12 PeteAtkinson

PeteAtkinson

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Hi Eric When trying to insert image placeholders in the text, it no longer inserts the placeholder where the cursor is. It just puts all the photos at the bottom of the text. I tried both uploaders...

#13 PeteAtkinson

PeteAtkinson

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

Worked fine with Mozilla Firefox, but not with IE.

#14 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Pete - I am basically not supporting IE. It's an evil browser and has gaping security holes. I know it's a popular browser, but I really recommending using a non-IE browser.

Also, how is performance of the new site? One benefit is that we can scale performance up and down (by paying more or less), so if we need for things to be faster, it's pretty easy to do!

eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#15 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Regarding performance: it's definitely slower. I'm working with our new host to determine what needs to be done to make the site faster. The important thing is that the site is up; now, we can tweak, tune, etc. :)

This may be related to aggressive caching. I'll look into the behavior. Is it marking as read, but not showing up as read until you refresh? Or is it not being marked as read *unless* you refresh?

A behavior change....

Before when I used the back button after reading an entry the entry was marked as read. Now I have to refresh the page.

A very small nit.

eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#16 FirstLight

FirstLight

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

I joined the forum last week.  Today my account disappeared.  I made a new one, but all posts gone.   Still can't start a thread.  Is there an admin I should contact?

#17 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

FirstLight, you should be able to start a thread now. You have to reply to a current thread to activate your full account. As part of the upgrade, we lost all posts from Feb 14 - Feb 18.

eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#18 FirstLight

FirstLight

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

FirstLight, you should be able to start a thread now. You have to reply to a current thread to activate your full account. As part of the upgrade, we lost all posts from Feb 14 - Feb 18.

Thanks, working now.   

#19 cneal

cneal

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Regarding performance: it's definitely slower. I'm working with our new host to determine what needs to be done to make the site faster. The important thing is that the site is up; now, we can tweak, tune, etc. :)

This may be related to aggressive caching. I'll look into the behavior. Is it marking as read, but not showing up as read until you refresh? Or is it not being marked as read *unless* you refresh?

It marked as read but the text does not change from bold to normal until I refresh the page. Before it was as if the page refreshed automatically when I used the back button from reading a message to the forum. Now I have to hit F5.

Firefox 18.0.2

#20 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

I came here to comment about the lack of front page commenting - but I see it is covered in Eric's first post. I'll save my congratulations for Frink until the new commenting system is operating. 

I think we should have a specific drop down menu for Wetpixel reviews - so these are easy to find amongst the other news items. 

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).