68 replies to this topic

#21 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

Hi Spencer. Yes I sent it back. I had a 30 day no quibble refund policy. I wasn't happy with the flash shutter sync speed and a bit peeved off with lack of lenses.
I had a few doubts about it Alex, Sony didnt grumble, that was the offer they made. But won't have with this one :)
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))°>

#22 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

It looks like a decent iteration.  It will undoubtedly have a higher quality sensor than the D7000 and the body is a bit more robust.  Better video.  It feels like Nikon just realized they needed to bump megapixel again but they are still ignoring the high-end DX user in my opinion.  Glad they finally added the weather resistant body.

It is *not* a full on replacement for the D300s. It's a shame that Nikon has still left off features I had on my 2007 D300.

- Same stupid left hand dial to let me select "landscape" or "portrait".  Really?  That's flagship?  I'd rather have the old WB/ISO buttons from the D300

- 51 autofocus points?  Yes, that's nice, but it's a shame the D7100 is essentially getting the same focus system I had on the D300 6 years ago - shouldn't it be even better?

- Dual SD cards?   Compact Flash is still faster.  I'm betting the D7100 will still have a small buffer and will stop shooting at the most inopportune time.

- Where's the DX primes?  Or anything cool and new in DX lenses?  

Please don't misunderstand; this is definitely a better body than the existing D7000 and a very nice evolution.  But it also shows me that Nikon wants to move the former D300 user off to FX just like I said in a thread about 3 months ago -- I predicted back then Nikon would never release a D400 but would instead make the next rev of the D7000 it's new top of the line DX.  

For an underwater photographer who currently has a D7000, does this make you want to iterate and buy yet another $2500, (sorry, $3000-$3300) housing for what is essentially a megapixel increase or does this make you want to jump to FX?  Is this a good enough iteration to keep people from jumping to Olympus OM-D which is much cheaper and has a better lens selection?

At least Nikon has finally told us the D400 is not to be...

Cheers,
JP

I agree; and I for one am really disappointed. I want a pro level DX Nikon to complement my D800. Underwater, I love my D800 for pool / studio and landscape, but I'm pretty convinced that overall DX is a better choice for diving, and for increased reach for wildlife, particularly birds,  topside. The D7001 is fine for underwater, but does not pass the test as a high frame rate wildlife camera. 

Edited by loftus, 21 February 2013 - 11:57 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#23 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Thom Hogan's convinced we'll get a bona fide D300 replacement (which has been rumoured as the D9000). But there doesn't seem much room in the specs - except in frame rate and buffer. The D7100 has the AF from the latest Pro bodies (and I guess that while the name isn't changed from the D300, it is, in fact, the same jump that D4 was over D3).

Maybe a true D300 could have 1/500th flash synch (we know that is possible on DX, from the FX bodies in DX mode).

I've also found that the D7000 can't take a pro work load. So I'd like something more robust. But I'm not sure we'll get it now. 

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#24 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Thom Hogan's convinced we'll get a bona fide D300 replacement (which has been rumoured as the D9000). But there doesn't seem much room in the specs - except in frame rate and buffer. The D7100 has the AF from the latest Pro bodies (and I guess that while the name isn't changed from the D300, it is, in fact, the same jump that D4 was over D3).

Maybe a true D300 could have 1/500th flash synch (we know that is possible on DX, from the FX bodies in DX mode).

I've also found that the D7000 can't take a pro work load. So I'd like something more robust. But I'm not sure we'll get it now. 

Alex

1/500? hmmm maybe worth it to wait a bit more

Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

#25 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

IF the rumor specs on the Canon 7D II turn out to be true, Nikon might have made a grave error in the APC world.  Supposedly the 7D II will have 10 fps, 24mp and 61 autofocus points, GPS and WiFi.   The 7100 should have matched that spec I think.  It's ridiculous DSLR's don't have GPS and WiFi built in;  those chipsets are now very tiny and very cheap.  Heck, a sub-$100 phone has both.   1/500 would be nice for us U/W photogs, but hardly anyone else cares :(  

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#26 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

It's ridiculous DSLR's don't have GPS and WiFi

Very true John, I think they are just saving it for a trump card when they can't think of much else to add on, the NEX has it....why have an add on? A lot of their money is made on add ons I guess.
Cheers
Paul

#27 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1751 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

What does everyone think about the 1.3x crop mode? It gives 15.3 megapixel resolution, so not far from that of the D7000, and the focus points fill the entire frame.

I am also disappointed in the lack of a pro-level body. The D7000 feels (and is) very flimsy compared to the D800.

I still agree with Thom Hogan that there is room for a D400/9000 (?).  Specs will probably include stuff that we underwater types don't use a lot (wifi and GPS for example). Native maximum ISO on the D7100 is 6400, so I think with some clever sensor developments there is room there too.

Unless my D7000 was falling apart, I would be tempted to wait...

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#28 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

The on the go live view white balance may come in handy too?
Cheers
Paul

#29 howard

howard

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

The on the go live view white balance may come in handy too?

I agree that the LV Spot White Balance will be a great addition when shooting video u/w with the D7100. It's a pain at the mo, so much so that I very rarely shoot video u/w. This will effectively give a one-touch WB.

From dpreview:

"New in the D7100 is a 'spot white balance' feature, which allows you to set white balance when shooting in live view mode quickly and easy, by simply selecting an area of the scene from which to take the reading. This promises to be much easier than the conventional Nikon approach to setting custom white balance, which is far from intuitive, to say the least..."

Howard Womersley | Web designer | Underwater Photographer
D7000 | Nauticam Housing | 4" Minidome | Tokina 10-17mm | 60mm Macro | Inon Z240s | Sola Photo 600
divebuzz.com | facebook

#30 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

My question (and I understand that the issues of professionals are not mine):

I am an old D-300 shooter and probably more of the target of Nikon for underwater users of this camera (if they care about underwater photographers at all).

The plusses:

1-More megapixels

2-Like the 1.3 crop but really why not just crop?

3-May actually be Ok taking video with one touch white balance

4-Better all round sensor

Don't care

1-Build quality. I don't use my underwater camera out of the housing

2-Dx vs FX is a tradeoff. I am mostly a macro shooter but would like the flexibility of a FX/DX combo

Negatives

1-I have a prefectly good Seatool housing for my D-300 and 2 perfectly good D-300 cameras.

So, in reality, only diving 15-18 diving days a year 30-45 dives, how much better pictures will I really get?

#31 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Nice...any idea what the strobe sync speed is?  Hope I am asking that right. Right now, my D90 is 1/200. How fast is the D7100?

And which companies are looking at housing this new model?  I have been trying to decide about moving up to the D800 and this looks like a good option.

So, a question that comes up for me...D800 or check out this new D7100?

Happy diving - Pam 

Edited by DiverPam, 21 February 2013 - 03:43 PM.

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#32 howard

howard

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Pam, I think the Sync speed is the same as the D7000. 1/250 by default, but can be changed to 1/320.

Howard Womersley | Web designer | Underwater Photographer
D7000 | Nauticam Housing | 4" Minidome | Tokina 10-17mm | 60mm Macro | Inon Z240s | Sola Photo 600
divebuzz.com | facebook

#33 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

My question (and I understand that the issues of professionals are not mine):

So, in reality, only diving 15-18 diving days a year 30-45 dives, how much better pictures will I really get?

I guess there is merit in being one camera behind the pros if it is just a hobby...hence I am shopping for a good second hand housing as opposed to paying top dollar for something while it is the next best thing. I totally agree with you, I think I can improve my images better through practise than by using a better camera....I would like TTL inmy setup though...

#34 DocTock

DocTock

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

It looks like this may be the upgrade from a D90....

However, I do not see an ability to manually raise/ lower the flash. Anyone else notice this? (Of course I realize all we have seen are previews of pre-release versions)

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

#35 Gary.Makai

Gary.Makai

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Larger buffer, high iso-low light, more fps at 14 or 16 bit, 1/500 flash sync and an AF on button would be ideal.

#36 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

More from Thom....

"As a middle-class DX-format D-SLR." Well, apparently the Japanese disagree with the American Nikon marketers. The previous quote is from the US site, this quote is from the Japanese site. So who are we to believe?

I haven't given up hope yet.

#37 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

I really wish Nikon would rev the D300, but its been six years and nothing but crickets. The "S" version was not a big enough upgrade to even consider. Since the price point on a D400 or whatever would be very close to the D600, I don't see them doing it. As a matter of fact, I'm certain we are maybe a year away at most from seeing a $1500 price point FX from Nikon. U/W photogs and wildlife photographers are the only ones who will pick a high end DX over a FX model.

A year ago a high end DX would have been successful, but after the D600/D800 releases, a model in the $1800-2000 range cuts the pie too thin.

I know Thom has said several times he thinks a D400 is in the works, but he has been forecasting it for over two years -- wishful thinking I believe. I bought the D7000 because I got tired of waiting for Nikon to rev the D300.

The D7100 is a nice iteration. It's just not compelling enough to make me want to buy yet another housing. I went from the D300 (not the "S" model) to the D7000 and honestly it is just not that different. A bit smaller, a bit more resolution, a bit better IQ at high ISO. But I do miss the pro features on my D300 and if I upgrade it makes more monetary sense to get the D800; the body is pricier, but housing cost is pretty close and the D800 at this point looks to be more future proof than the D7100.

Edited by johnspierce, 23 February 2013 - 07:50 AM.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#38 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

What does everyone think about the 1.3x crop mode? 

I agree with TomR - it is nice in theory - but in practice it isn't much use (except for non-cropping competition photographers) like the DX crop on the FX bodies.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#39 tomeyer

tomeyer

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

I think this is great news for those wanting to get a First camera in a D7000 at a lower price or have a backup for their first D7000. 24 megapixels just seems like overkill in a DX camera.

Tom

#40 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

I also think this is great news, having used the D800 now for a while, I’m looking forward to getting my Tokina 10-17 back...

www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland