• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:16 AM

I just got these photo of the new Nauticam housing for Red Epic and Scarlet.

I haven't specs but, just these pics...

382254_10151247796767172_784802402_n.jpg 405710_10151247796962172_1538656180_n.jpg 544431_10151247796667172_1900185113_n.jpg 65504_10151247796832172_790338367_n.jpg

Edited by Davide DB, 21 February 2013 - 03:31 AM.

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#2 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

Looks very nice indeed!  I've not seen a price mentioned yet though?

Cheers, Simon

#3 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

Nauticam dealer told me it seats in the 10K euro range 

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.

#4 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Needs a top handle of some sort and a shade....I do think it is a little late to the party though

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#5 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

Dunno John, the EPIC with Dragon is keeping the same form factor isn't it?  If so I think there is a good few more years for potential sales.  Of course they would have been better off being there right at the beginning and the demand for a housing like this vs say a 5Dmk3 is just not the same, but Nauticam must have factored that in I'd guess.  I would have thought for their first video housing that they would have been a little less ambitious, but hey gotta give them credit for balls! :)

Cheers, Simon

#6 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

It would be nice seeing a proper datasheet for this housing.

I got those pics & price from a Nauticam dealer who told that housing is already on catalogue. Actually I did not see any news on Nauticam or Nauticam USA website. We'll have to wait for NAB where we will see the GH3 too ;)

#7 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1749 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

Not to brag, but we saw it at DEMA. There are no actual specs, but a fair bit of information in our show report:

http://wetpixel.com/...m-dema-2012/P3/

I spoke to Ryan Canon about it at that time, and he expressed the feeling that the learning process that Nauticam went through to design and produce the housing will be applicable to other cameras and housing solutions in future. 

Given that most of the RED housings in use are actually hire units, I don't think that many companies are finding them to be a profit center  :)

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#8 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

It's been showing up on the "special products" page:

http://www.nauticam....ist-ca.asp?id=7

for some time now. But not much detail at the target page:

http://www.nauticam....duct.asp?id=269

Handle is listed as an option there

My Videos on Vimeo | YouTube
Panasonic DMC-GH4 | Nauticam NA-GH4 Housing
Light & Motion Sola 4000 Video Lights
Lumix 7-14mm / Oly 12-50mm / Oly 60mm Macro / SubSee +10

#9 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Dunno John, the EPIC with Dragon is keeping the same form factor isn't it?  If so I think there is a good few more years for potential sales.   I would have thought for their first video housing that they would have been a little less ambitious, but hey gotta give them credit for balls! :)

Yep Dragon will be the same form factor as far as we know, but they have said that Scarlets cannot be upgraded but they will offer a trade in but even with that it will be probably be a 20k upgrade so not pocket change, plus you will need more and bigger media so really you would be looking at 25K plus. but who know what will happen, I would be pretty keen for Dragon though, I have been shooting with an Epic recently as well as my Scarlet and I love shooting higher frame rate stuff. I definitely applaud  Nauticam for there housing I'm sure it will be awesome as their other products are, but maybe going for the Sony F5 and F55 may have been an idea. Do Nauticam offer a glass dome, from memory they only offer acrylic ones which would be a bummer.

www.ginclearfilm.com

#10 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Just saw this image Ryan Canon posted on REDUSER from Moscow

Attached Images

• goldendolphin13_ab_01.jpg

www.ginclearfilm.com

#11 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

but maybe going for the Sony F5 and F55 may have been an idea.

Yeah I agree a housing for the new Sony cameras would have really made the other manufacturers sit up and take notice.

Wow that's a lot bigger housing than I'd imagined from the press release photo - or is it just a very small lady holding it?? :)

#12 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:00 AM

Do Nauticam offer a glass dome, from memory they only offer acrylic ones which would be a bummer.

Do you find for 4k that Glass vs Acrylic is even more apparent in quality or a similar trade off to that for HD?  I've always tended to opt for acrylic becuase of their in field repair options.

Edited by SimonSpear, 01 March 2013 - 02:00 AM.

#13 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:30 AM

This is the only glass dome they offer:

http://www.nauticam....sp?id=219&sid=4

other ports/dome are all acrylic.

PS

On the photo posted above it seems the 9" glass dome.

Edited by Davide DB, 01 March 2013 - 02:38 AM.

#14 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

I think they do have a glass dome actually,

Simon, my preference is just due to durability, acrylic is super sharp when new but I have always found even with great care you get small scratches, and yes they can be polished but I have never felt that they are the same again. It actually looks about the same size as my Deep epic minus the monitor.

Edited by jonny shaw, 01 March 2013 - 05:20 PM.

www.ginclearfilm.com

#15 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

A third party manufacturer makes some of the best glass domes that i have ever used with optical coatings both inside and out. Zen make a 100mm , 200mm, and a 230mm which equates to about 4, 8, 9 inches.
The Nauticam is a large housing and traveling with it is a definite challenge. I am not sure why all of the housing manufactures insist on making such large housings for a camera that is only slightly bigger than a large DSLR. Even with a large battery pack attached it still doesn't warrant such spacious accommodation.

#16 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

DSLR uses the body chassis to wick away heat. They don't heat up so much. Processing 4K or 5K and 24 FPS or higher generates stupifyiing amount of data and needs tremendous processing power. End result is huge amount of waste heat.

Large volume is mainly for air circulation IMHO. The Red Epic or Scarlet has a fan built in and its on all the time except when recording. The camera gets hot. Also the housing can get hot very quickly above water. Underwater it is not an issue. The extra volume also gives it brilliant stability. In my experience you rarely only just turn on the camera in the water as you could miss a critical shot when waiting for the animal to appear for example for big whales or sharks. So everything is prep and ready to shoot.  I shoot for some commercial projects and 80% of the time its just above the water. Or waiting for the crew and talent to get ready. In those situations over-heating is a real issue.

Unless the housing is made of better material for heat sink than aluminium then it run the risk of cooking the camera ASICs and also causing thermal stress to the sensor. A bit more space for air circulation certainly reduce this risk. There is a housing made by an Aussie guy (Pawel) and that is made entirely of Titanium. Very light in weight. That housing is small in girth but length wise it is about the same as the others. It gets away with less volume by bolting the housing directly to the Epic brain like a camera mount. So heat is conducted directly to the housing. It is also limited to Nikonos lenses. It strips away many of the control features as well so no redmode or side handle. Really simple roll button and two presets. There has to be some sacrifices for compactness.

Epic is a modular camera system and the smallest configuration is the brain, system control either the side handle or the redmode. Its a shame the touch monitor control is not good for UW.  Add gearing and extender ring for lens control. Adding side SSD and a 95 wh battery pack and a lens then you pretty much require the shape and size as Gates or Nauticam. I think the Amphibico Rouge is around that size.

If these housings could be strip down to smaller parts then certainly easier to pack to smaller pelican cases. 

Just my two cents.

Cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#17 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

I love bigger housings underwater, and to be honest the client pays excess anyway. I really don't think that you own a RED just for a hobby camera, bugger that I love mine but for fun I would much rather travel with a DSLR.

Hey Dave, yep you are right about Pawels housing, heaps smaller and lighter, absolutely beautifully machined but it is only his 3D housing that is titanium Deep X is ali, saying that he would be able to make on in Ti if a client wanted it. I actually saw his 3D housing last week and it is only slightly bigger than my Deep Epic, and lighter too.

Edited by jonny shaw, 02 March 2013 - 04:21 PM.

www.ginclearfilm.com

#18 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

Hi Jon

Yeah Pawel is a clever chap. Love to try out his housing. Definitely looks lighter. I think what is missing in the industry is a lightweight surf housing made of aluminium. May be I will build one. Maybe Pawel will make one. Mill the tube thinner and add a few more controls.

A few weeks ago I had to shoot some UW footage for a commercial. An Indian production  and the DP is Vincent Lafloret. Yup. I was virtually crapping myself as the shot is on the water with housing pointing upward at the base of a cliff. I had to improvise and strap a BCD around the Deep Epic housing. No way with fully kitted Epic and Arri Ultra prime and glass dome is this kit going to be light. I could not lift out of the water. Not for holding it for few minutes anyways. That was when I thought there must me a lighter housing solution.

I will give Pawel's workshop a visit one of these days.

Cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#19 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

I am in exactly the same boat, two recent jobs were basically surf jobs and lugging my Deep epic around was a killer. Pawel's workshop in Tassie is bloody awesome of you are ever in oz give him a bell I'm sure he would be super happy to take you on a tour.

www.ginclearfilm.com

#20 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

OK guys please stop and post some photo of Pawel's housing :)