Light & Motion Sola 4000 Video Lights
Lumix 7-14mm / Oly 12-50mm / Oly 60mm Macro / SubSee +10

#23 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

Yes it is super simple and easy to install. I will be taking this system to Sri Lanka to film for 9 days. I will have a better idea of its strong points and quirks when I get back. I will keep this thread posted.

#24 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:48 AM

Actually looks a lovely system.

#25 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Yeah looks very quick and easy to set up. They do make great products.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#26 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

Nice looking thing. I mean the housing. Not much bigger than the Deep Epic. Smaller I think. Good idea to round off the legs. I find few bruises from these things jabbing into my ribs when I lift the housing.

I must try my hands on one. The port system is one of the easiest to install in the industry and existing DSLR ports could be used. I like it when they say they support PL mount. I would be very interested if they could slab on a precision follow focus or a motorized one.

One criticism is the monitor. I prefer to have it external but looks like there are enough sockets to muck about with external monitors. The Nauticam housing for the Small HD DP4 should work. I wish they make one for the 7 inch Oled. I have a feeling they might do that.

Regards

David 

Edited by CheungyDiver, 05 March 2013 - 06:13 PM.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#27 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

Yes it is super simple and easy to install. I will be taking this system to Sri Lanka to film for 9 days. I will have a better idea of its strong points and quirks when I get back. I will keep this thread posted.

I think you signed up for Sharelunker, not Sri Lanka! :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#28 Andrej Belic

Andrej Belic

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

Hi, can I get a link to this picture because actually it's from my report of the Golden Dolphin show in Moscow.

Just saw this image Ryan Canon posted on REDUSER from Moscow

#29 Cp

Cp

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

I prefer to have it external but looks like there are enough sockets to muck about with external monitors. The Nauticam housing for the Small HD DP4 should work. 

Hi David,

There are two places inside the housing where you can mount the monitor... on the back, as shown in the video, and on top. Yes, the DP4 works as an external monitor solution for those wanting external. 

Cheers,

CP

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678

#30 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

There is a suggestion on the Red User Forums to comprehensively test all available Red Epic/Scarlet housings side by side. Maybe someone from wetpixel could get involved or just arrange for the reviews to be published here as it might prove interesting reading.

#31 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Yep Dragon will be the same form factor as far as we know, but they have said that Scarlets cannot be upgraded but they will offer a trade in but even with that it will be probably be a 20k upgrade so not pocket change, plus you will need more and bigger media so really you would be looking at 25K plus. but who know what will happen, I would be pretty keen for Dragon though, I have been shooting with an Epic recently as well as my Scarlet and I love shooting higher frame rate stuff. I definitely applaud  Nauticam for there housing I'm sure it will be awesome as their other products are, but maybe going for the Sony F5 and F55 may have been an idea. Do Nauticam offer a glass dome, from memory they only offer acrylic ones which would be a bummer.

You are spot on with the Sony cameras Jon, although it is Gates that have now released a housing for them.

Edited by Pete L, 06 March 2013 - 12:05 PM.

Panasonic GH4 user

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

#32 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

I know.... very cool.. The F5 is $16k, plus media and if you want to record RAW it is another $5.5k, plus a monitor, then $18k for the housing plus lenses, batteries, baseplates etc... so not much change from $45 - 50k

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#33 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

Hey Jon

getting one? 

I am thinking if it is worth selling my remaining kidney. May be not.  If the F5 is priced at 12K I might be tempted.

I really like the built in ND. A really a cool feature I wish Red has thought of that. Near impossible for their multiple option DSMC lens mounts .

A business associate has ordered a PMW F55 so I might try it out when it arrives. Can't wait. 

I am looking around for lightweight housings now. Titanium tube would be light enough. I might give Pawel a bell. There may be a lanc remote with CineAlta cameras....more research is required.

BTW I will be doing some testing with a Nauticam Rossa at Lembeh Straits soon :)

cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#34 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Here is Mark with the Red housing in action:

Miirissa12.jpg

Mark chasing a whale...fully legal with permits mind you!

Miirissa14.jpg

Mark trying to focus

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#35 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

Drew

I don't see any whales!  Just snorkelers LOL

Vis is nice and clear.

Have your tried the housing yet?  What do you think of the manual focus? Zoom is super smooth. I think the focus could be made to have the same finesse.

I could pack the whole housing plus a mini-dome into a carry on bag. Amazing. I can't wait to test this housing out.

Cheers

David

#36 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

Only used it for a short while today. It's not the complete rig and really still in beta phase, it's a little unfair to comment too much publicly.

Focus is pretty loose and lacks precision, especially when using non-cinematic lenses.  With some lenses having very short focal distance scales, trying to use the Red Mon focal distance meter is more difficult than one thinks.  

As you can see, the rear monitor suffers from big reflections so Mark had to put a shade made from a flower pot to see the monitor..  It's nice to have the Red Mon for viewing but the rear window is sorta handycamish.  Obviously that's a personal preference thing.

Miirissa20.jpg

Snorkel only usage with a bit of free diving

Drew

#37 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Hey Drew

Looks like vis. is pretty okay. I wish I could be there mate. 

You are using the 230mm dia. dome!. Does it balance well? I am going to test my DIY dome and see if that works well with Nikon lenses particularly the 14-24. Watch this space.

There is a Nauticam rear monitor shade but I think they will have to make a hood-like one soon. Nothing like actual field testing to really see how things work. Thanks for the tip. I will be looking for a couple of black plastic flower pots.

About the focus and zoom gear I agree that it is pretty much at beta stage. The focus has to be smoother. That should not be a big challenge for their engineers. They need to add disengage mechanism in there too. I also find the 'block' replicate everything on the side handle. As you know there is at least three,  maybe more ways to access the menu so I guess it is well up there on the redundancy department. I am loving the the side handle control. No more buggy redmote.

Keep up the field report. I will be going to my trip soon. Pool testing is just not the same.

Cheers

David

#38 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Well even the very young MJvC is finding that his arms are too short for his eyes on the Red Mon :)  The problem for this camera is that it resets everything when using an EF lens because there is the USM reset. So basically, you can't just set the focus and leave it.  Which makes the focus dial much more important.   The rear monitor isn't for macro shooting for me. I like to eyeball the subject then point the lens onto it for final composure.  It's not easy with the rear window. The separate top monitor is better, even though there is less info on there.

Unfortunately some lenses have a very short adjustment for the crucial focal distances for the virtual image, so I think Nauticam and other manufacturers need to have interchangeable gears for different lenses.  I was using the 8-15 and it's less than 7mm turn for the crucial 30-60cm focal lengths, which makes it harder in fast moving objects and rough handling.

As for balance, the Zen dome makes it front heavy in this bare minimum configuration, but as you can see, much of the housing accessories are missing. 

Drew

#39 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

The top monitor was removed because it added too much drag when trying to push it through the water quickly. I think the block and side mounted controls are a terrific invention as you can access all the side handle controls and for me coming from a dslr it is very much the same. I would really love it if they could re-gear the focus mechinism for the slr wide angel lenses that have such a short rack between minimum focus and infinity. Manual focusing underwater with these newer large sensor video cameras is defiantly a challenge.  This is made a lot harder when that subject is low in contrast and moving very quickly. On the plus side the system is also quite compact and incredibly ease to set up.

#40 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Hi MJvC/Drew

Hey great feed back. Totally agree on the points discussed so far. The side handle has preset buttons. I usually set button A as toggle cycle for Canon lens AF. There are several cycles for different AF control. You probably know that the trigger button on the right handle is balanced like those on a DSLR. Half press then you could pre-focus. Then press the button A and cycle to AF lock or disabled..its quite quick and that solves the USM reset. Works well for wide angle lenses. When you need AF back just press button A again. You could choose to program it on B or C.

Hey MJvC. Yes the gearing is not .8 pitch and wrong diameter so focus throw is very short. I think they are looking into PL mount version. The normal port hole is just not wide enough for cine lenses or gears. Having said that Nauticam is a complete newbie to the cinema camera system and boy did they really excel with their first born housing so far. The controls near the handles and the mechanical trigger is just superb.  

I can't wait to see some footage,

cheers

david

Edited by CheungyDiver, 15 March 2013 - 05:14 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: red, epic, scarlet, nauticam, housing