• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:30 AM

Nope.

The Epic/Scarlet lens to mount distance is different to DSLR. There may be some gear that could fit. I have not tried them all yet.

Sorry I missed out the one I tried. The Nikkor 105mm VR and existing gear works with the Rossa.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#62 JohnE

JohnE

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

The Nauticam is a large housing and traveling with it is a definite challenge. I am not sure why all of the housing manufactures insist on making such large housings for a camera that is only slightly bigger than a large DSLR. Even with a large battery pack attached it still doesn't warrant such spacious accommodation.

As David points out, heat dissipation is important when dealing with these bleeding edge cameras.  But the main driver of housing size is far more basic:  buoyancy.  

If you have an aluminum housing glove fit to the camera it would sink like a rock.  To offset that would require adding air space via foam, tubes -- whatever.  So we just make the housing larger to balance everything.  You then get more space for other things e.g. controls, cables, and your hands for service.  

J-

#63 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hello all

I should be able to do a side by side size comparison for all (mainstream brands) the Epic/Scarlet housing at my ADEX Booth. The way I see it they all pretty much could fit into a cabin luggage. Some need to be stripped down more than others. Busy setting up at the show and today is the first day so a review and photos will be later.

The Deep Epic is one housing I have had the most experience with and I will use it as a bench mark when comparing with the newcomers. Gates have ironed out most of the issues associated with this level of digital imaging equipment. All of the professional shooters at this level I know uses this housing or rent one. Inevitably the market changes as cinema level cameras become affordable with more competing brands. These are still niche market professional level equipment so the cost will reflect that.

Gate's Deep Epic housing never give me one single issue with control function or heating problem for over 100 dives in difference seas and swimming pools. I have stripped out the entire housing twice and rebuilt it without any issue (not recommended for the inexperienced). Easy servicing and maintenance are important factors. Responsiveness from manufacturer to resolve problems quickly is another factor. Most of my clients expects me to be on stand by literally 24/7. For each new client I spend a day going through all the aspects of the housing and some pool training.

Heating is not a problem with most aluminium housings. Some shoots involving the housing hovering on the surface may cause it to heat up from the sun but that was easily solved by a wet towel. In terms of volume the deep epic is just right and you could fit about any industry sized batteries inside.  Setting up and trimming with weights takes five minutes. Only need to be done once. One of the best thing of the Deep Epic is the adjustable handle. Quick and easy and suits all size hands. 

For the review I will be looking for the above attributes. Size and volume are important issues but there are others factors in the whole to consider.

Cheers
David

Edited by CheungyDiver, 18 April 2013 - 03:49 PM.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#64 combatalex

combatalex

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Former electro mechanical engineer of Amphibico, HydroFlex, Marshall Electronics

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:41 PM

Hello All,

Can you help me with my question?
How to activate through HDMI output "camera menu" of RED Epic on external HDMI monitor?
Can you send me a sequence of the commands, which I have to press on RED Epic
camera, to achieve the result.

Thanks,
Alex