• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 texellis

texellis

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

I've got a Hero3 and i'm looking for a pair of video lights to use at night, under ledges, and when the sun doesn't cooperate during day dives.  I recognize the limitations of the Hero3 so these lights may be used for a better video rig in the future.  They will be mated to an SRP tray for now.  My reading has narrowed it down to Sola 1200s or iTorch Video Pro4 but am still open to suggestions.  A few salesman have suggested the Sola 500s is all I need for a Hero3 but I'm concerned they won't be "enough" for a better rig in the future.  I've read many threads concerning Sola charging issues so the iTorch user changeable batteries are very intriguing.  The Sola has a lot more reputation to ride on but is it worth the extra money?  Any help or real world experience would be greatly appreciated.

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1497 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

One other option is the new light from Nocturnal; used two of them in Anilao and they are perfect for the Hero. Rechargeable 18650 battery so no worries about charging. 

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 texellis

texellis

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

I don't know much about the Nocturnal lights.  I checked out their website but don't know anyone who owns one.  Which model were you speaking of that might work for a pair for a Hero3?

#4 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:32 AM

The FIT 5000 looks like a fantastic light and has a very good price.

Fun-IN website has it available.

http://www.fun-in.co...product_id=1592

According to the website:

- Lumen: 5000 lumen(White, 120degrees) Stepless adjustment

This light is very similar to the Fisheye FIX LED 5000 but for half the price:

http://www.backscatter.com/HostedStore.LassoApp?-ResponseLassoApp=detail.lasso&ID=9f1d7ae42190b17b0e55541214c76432&s2op=cn&s2=lighting&s6op=cn&s6=video&sop=AND&sf=Price&so=Descending&ftn=youbetcha&

Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1497 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

I have two of them and Walter Marti shot a bunch of video using them on his recent Anilao trip (we dove with him for most of the trip) and he has a review on his website.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net