Photo
- - - - -

How many controls do you actually use on your housing?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 petern

petern

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:I like taking images that are hopefully different.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

So I was wondering, with new cameras there are so many options with
setting to do a wide range of image capture, as a result housing
manufacturers provide nearly 100% control access. But how many do you
actually use? I know some will say everyone but what would be the most
commonly used and do we need full access to all the features that the
camera has while underwater. If you shoot in full auto then you could get away with one, shutter.

Excluding professional image makers, Imagine if you had a choice of housings that had less function yet where a lot less to buy, would you still buy
the top of the range or really think about what you used and purchased the
same make/model with fewer controls?
When I worked with film, you know that 3 foot bit of plastic that had perforated holes down both
sides, I had 5 controls on my housing and that just about covered every thing I needed
to adjust and capture the image. So would you use 20%, 50% or more of the camera function
during your average dive? GoPro has two and a limited menu.

Also could you cope if a photo comp allowed to pre set your setting , which you gave the organisors pre dive, then restricted you to shutter speed, aperture, strobe adjustment and preview.

Hmm lets see where this goes... :)

#2 r4e

r4e

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

On/off

Red filter

WB

Focus (lock)

Record

---

Menu (just in case)

Play (for deco stops)

vimeo.com/r4e

http://www.cerella.fi for the Underwater Photographer and Videographer

#3 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

On/off

F/Stop

Shutter speed

Shutter

I review underwater and occasionally expand the view.

Shooting Raw I see no point in anything else.

#4 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

I use regularly:

Aperture, shutter speed, on/off, flash up and down, focus modes, AF-ON, shutter release, playback, rear dial, OK button, +/-, ISO, LV, Video Start/Stop, shooting modes (single shot/multi shot/ 2 second delay), mode dial WB, info, erase, lock photo, zoom in/zoom out, menu button

lens release when back on the boat.

So, all of them pretty much. 

www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#5 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8373 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

I agree with Alex. I've found a use for just about every control on the housing.

But it does depend on the type of photography you do. If you just want to take ID shots (of fish, nudibranchs etc) with a macro lens (and lots of people enjoy this type of underwater photography) you could probably get away with a shutter release and TTL.

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#6 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

I use regularly:

Aperture, shutter speed, on/off, flash up and down, focus modes, AF-ON, shutter release, playback, rear dial, OK button, +/-, ISO, LV, Video Start/Stop, shooting modes (single shot/multi shot/ 2 second delay), mode dial WB, info, erase, lock photo, zoom in/zoom out, menu button

lens release when back on the boat.

So, all of them pretty much. 

Same for me except that i don't need 'shooting modes' (Single, multi/2 s delay), 'mode dial WB' (i'm shooting RAW, but for video necessary), Flash up/down (electrically wired strobes) and AF-ON (via the shutter release), but i do use AE-/AF lock occasionally, the AF-/M focus selector and the P/A/S/M button

But the need for full accessibility is with me also very depending on the type of diving. During wreckdiving at the Northsea with a visibility sometimes of less then 2m at average depth of 30 m with a lot of current, some buttons become more relevant then others. Absolute necessity to me: ON/OFF, aperture, shuttertime, ISO, focus modes, rear dial and auto- or manual Focus and shutter release.

I think that's about it.

Edited by Udo van Dongen, 25 February 2013 - 08:40 AM.

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

check out more photos on the facebook

#7 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Alex makes a goood point. it really depends on what king of shooting you do.

As a macro guy, shooting AF and sTTL and focus release shutter priority (camera takes pictures only when in focus) I really only change the F/stop and shutter speed. In particular, taking super macro shots with a +5 or +10 diopter, how many options on the camera does one have? It is all about your position vis a vis the subject and strobe placement.

And no, one can't make money with these kinds of shots but that's not my intent.

Regards,

#8 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

It really depends what settings I forget to turn on before I get in the water! Whilst there are many i dont nornally use, I am sure I would miss any if they were removed

Mainly trigger, on off, af lock, review, af selector, aperture, shutter speed.... live view which i wish was not there as i only press it by mistake and quite annoying when everything goes black throught the view finder!

#9 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

Controls used rather depend on whether I set i up properly before I got wet !!! Having full menu control has saved the day a couple of times.

Modern cameras are so much more complex than a manual focus film SLR.

#10 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1000 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

Controls used rather depend on whether I set i up properly before I got wet !!! Having full menu control has saved the day a couple of times.

Modern cameras are so much more complex than a manual focus film SLR.

That's exactly what I  was going to answer.  I'd really hate to scrap an entire dive because I forgot to set an unmodifiable control right.  Kind of like pulling the lens cap trick or something....especially if you use the same camera topside as below, as you might be using completely different setting assumptions between dives.

Edited by rtrski, 25 February 2013 - 03:19 PM.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#11 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1735 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

My experience is that if I don't have access to a control, I immediately need it  :laugh:

Despite a reticence amongst photographers to admit it, modern cameras offer a great deal of functionality that produces better pictures. Not being able to access it tends to negate these advantages.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#12 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

All of them. I wish I could access single/continuous shooting modes but I can't on my Hugyfot.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#13 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Only thing I missed is lens controls. Canon 100mm lens has a limit switch and af/mf switch. Both are a pain to forget
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#14 errbrr

errbrr

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

I use aperture, shutter speed and ISO (and the trigger!) on every dive. I usually but not always change my AF points, press play a few times, use INFO to check my histogram and move between using the AF-on and the shutter for focussing. 

I use set and live view when taking video, and the rest occasionally as required. I don't think I've ever touched the stupid Canon "picture styles" button, and I rarely touch the mode dial out of M.

Being able to get to the MF/AF slide on the lens would be handy - I've lost two dives to knocking this into MF when I inserted the camera into the housing (presumably) and it was very frustrating both times.

I was reading the EasyDive housing review which seems to be an interesting way to cut down on housing upgrade costs...except you lose a bunch of functionality through moving to electrical control. It seems there are pros and cons to every decision.

#15 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

Also could you cope if a photo comp allowed to pre set your setting , which you gave the organisors pre dive, then restricted you to shutter speed, aperture, strobe adjustment and preview.

Hmm lets see where this goes... :)

to make the analogy to car racing: to my opinion it would be something like an old-timer race with crippled modern cars, not something i'd be interested in. 

Edited by Udo van Dongen, 26 February 2013 - 12:03 AM.

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

check out more photos on the facebook

#16 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

As I mostly shoot stills using manual settings I use very few controls - generally that is (shutter release/aperture/shutter speed/ISO/review/info) - but then if I shoot video using the dSLR then the number goes up. And I have used other controls depending on the circumstances and what I'm shooting. The problem is that whilst some controls get little use, at times they may be essential. If I had to use a minimalist housing I would shoot manually with the 'bare essentials' covered as I first stated.

Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#17 jefdriesen

jefdriesen

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

All of them. I wish I could access single/continuous shooting modes but I can't on my Hugyfot.

I don't know which camera you use, but on my Nikon D7000 you can set the camera to CL (Continuous Low) and adjust the settings from 1 to 5 fps in the menu. Not as convenient as a dedicated button, but at least you can still switch.

Nikon D7000 - Nikon AF-D 60mm - Tokina 10-17mm - Hugyfot housing - 2x Sea & Sea YS-110 optically triggered

#18 Fireflys

Fireflys

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography,

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:10 AM

I use a good few of the controls but not on every dive and you can be sure ‘Murphy’s Law’ would come into play if I had a housing that excluded some of them as eventually I would feel them wanted, so with that in mind I’d rather a housing that allowed the use of all camera functions.

#19 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

I don't know which camera you use, but on my Nikon D7000 you can set the camera to CL (Continuous Low) and adjust the settings from 1 to 5 fps in the menu. Not as convenient as a dedicated button, but at least you can still switch.

D800. I probably need to read the instruction manual but I'm only half way through the manual for my newest car, which is a few months older. (I've only just got to the particulate burner!) Thanks for the heads-up!

I'm doing OK with it though!_FFF6064.jpg

Edited by John Bantin, 26 February 2013 - 05:22 PM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#20 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

I use pretty much all of them. However, the most frequent ones are shutter release/aperture/shutter speed/ISO/review/info

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240