• Interests:Diving,
    Yoga,
    Photography
    Running
    Cars
    Travel
    Good food

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

I just got my OM-D with a Nauticam housing. I was curious if the Inon wide wet lens would work with the 12-50. I rushed this off this morning on the way to work. I took them outdoor because of available light, it was cold and was a little late to work so I just snapped these off.

I have a couple of questions.

Will the circular ring go away underwater? My LX5 did the same thing on land but I never got around to using the H100 underwater with it.

To me it's hard to tell if the edges are very soft or if they are only out of focus, probably a both. I may try shoot some photos on a flat wall and stop it down a bit more to see how it goes.

At least the combination appears to work.

12mm-50mm @ 12mm F5.6 1/640
P2260025.jpg
12-50 @ 12mm w/H100 28M67 Type 2 F5.6 1/640
P2260027.jpg
as above but cropped
P2260027-4.jpg

Edited by Kenr, 26 February 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#2 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Depending on how you have the C/U lens mounted to the port the lens will vignette (the dark corners and circle) until you zoom to about 15-16mm. If you had a C/U lens with a 77mm thread like the 12-50 port has you would get a wider AOV.

Phil Rudin

#3 Kenr

Kenr

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Diving,
    Yoga,
    Photography
    Running
    Cars
    Travel
    Good food

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

I was shooting inside of the 60mm macro port. Underwater 12mm will act like a 16mm, will some or all of the vignette go away because of refraction?

#4 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

My bad, my first comment was in regard to the inon closeup lenses which will vignette when used with a flip adapter on the 67mm thread at 12mm and beyond.

Since this lens does not appear on the Inon system chart for the OMD E-M5 in any housing I would guess that it is not designed for the 12-50 zoom. I am sure it will work at some point in the zoom range, but not the way it was designed to work with the compact cameras for which it was designed.

Phil Rudin

Edited by Phil Rudin, 26 February 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#5 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

I was shooting inside of the 60mm macro port. Underwater 12mm will act like a 16mm, will some or all of the vignette go away because of refraction?

Nothing beats doing the experiment but I have little hope that the vignetting will disappear. The lens will behave as 12mm until the port window and 16mm, or whatever the exact value is, thereafter. However, the C/U lens is very close to the port so there will be very little difference with the on-land results. Let us know if it did make a significant difference.

Bart

Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#6 kmo_underwater

kmo_underwater

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

The perfect test medium is right there in the photos!