• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:14 AM

I'm sure it was a question of the staff being optimistic but the bank not. These things can come to a head very quickly. I'm sure Jesper and Charly were hoping it would remain in business and I am equally sure that there was no intention to rob subscribers. They aren't looking for magazines. They are looking for jobs. :(

Edited by John Bantin, 15 March 2013 - 06:15 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#22 gorantrener

gorantrener

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

unfortunatelly that is not how it goes in this bussiness. as soon the issue is printed, it should be mailed to subscribers.(as they did last year) that is the whole point of subscription. but they didnt (of course, additional cost), instead they "only" distributed it to sales points to "save what they can". to be clear, i really dont mind for that few euros but that move was unfair, and made intentionally. proof of that are hundreds of unanswered mails to subs. so no excuse there.  

#23 scuba_d

scuba_d

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:photography

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

i really dont mind for that few euros but that move was unfair, and made intentionally. proof of that are hundreds of unanswered mails to subs. so no excuse there.  

I am not sorry for them at all, but for  the idea of a well printed underwater photo magazine.

#24 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

Alert Diver, with the backing of DAN, seems to have hit on a viable formula.

Here's hoping they continue to buck the trend.

Thanks Eric. We appreciate the kind words, and are bucking along quite nicely ;)

Edited by StephenFrink, 15 March 2013 - 07:28 PM.

Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#25 EspenB

EspenB

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

I'm sure it was a question of the staff being optimistic but the bank not. These things can come to a head very quickly. I'm sure Jesper and Charly were hoping it would remain in business and I am equally sure that there was no intention to rob subscribers. They aren't looking for magazines. They are looking for jobs. :(

Sometimes it's just a question of eating to much cake at the same time.

In 2012 they issued four issues, this was planed to be expanded into I belive 6 - 8 issues this year, and they also issued a german language edition last year on the heavily competetive german marked which already has some of the worlds best and largest circulated dive magazines: Unterwasser and Tauchen.

Perhaps the outcome had been more positive if they had taken the lesser approach and just issues 2-3 english language editions each year.

#26 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:37 AM

Sometimes it's just a question of eating to much cake at the same time.

In 2012 they issued four issues, this was planed to be expanded into I belive 6 - 8 issues this year, and they also issued a german language edition last year on the heavily competetive german marked which already has some of the worlds best and largest circulated dive magazines: Unterwasser and Tauchen.

Perhaps the outcome had been more positive if they had taken the lesser approach and just issues 2-3 english language editions each year.

Espen speaks of circulation.  At about 33,000 for Unterwasser and 61,000 for Tauchen (more or less, and according to the circ figures they present to potential advertisers) they are not nearly the world's "largest circulated dive magazines". But, it does point to the economies of scale in print publication. The more units printed, the less the cost per unit.  I have no insight into the financials of any magazine other than our own, Alert Diver, but modest circulation would inevitably make high production values difficult, for any publication.

#27 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Got this from them this morning.

Any one translate this for the group?

To: Barbara Jones
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:21 AM
Subject: Automatisk svar: DIVE THE WORLD

DYKs forlag er desværre i betalingsstandsning. Det betyder, at hverken DYK eller DIVE THE WORLD vil udkomme i fremtiden. Vi beklager meget og takker for den støtte, vi har modtaget gennem årene.

Du kan stadigfremover få masser af informationer om dykning på www.dyk.dk.

Förlaget DYK har tyvärr tvingats stoppa sina betalningar. Det betyder att varken DYK eller DIVE THE WORLD kommer ut i framtiden. Vi beklagar detta och tackar för det stöd vi har fått genom åren.
Du kan fortfarande hitta massor med information på www.dyk.net och webbsidan kommer efterhand att utvec
klas.

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#28 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

Google Translate:

DYKs publishers Unfortunately for bankruptcy. This means that neither DYK or DIVE THE WORLD will be published in the future. We're very sorry, and thank you for the support we have received over the years.

You can still come get lots of information about diving on www.dyk.dk.

Förlaget DYK has tyvärr tvingats halt the sina pay ingar. This means attention varken DYK or DIVE THE WORLD coming ut in framtiden. We beklagar DETTA och tackar for it was we have attracted genome oar.
You can fortfarande hitta trade fairs with information on www.dyk.net och webbsidan comes after the handover attention being developed.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#29 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

I received a similar email but in English:

From: DIVE THE WORLD & DYK <kontor@dykmag.net<mailto:kontor@dykmag.net>>
Date: Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Subject: DIVE THE WORLD

Dear Andy The publishers behind DIVE THE WORLD has gone out of business and the magazine will no longer be released. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for the support we have received. Sincerely, The DIVE THE WORLD team

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D, 2x Inon z240, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tos/andydeitsch

#30 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2057 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

Alert Diver, with the backing of DAN, seems to have hit on a viable formula.

Except that the articles and illustrations aren't that good...

... and I haven't seen a paper copy for years.

#31 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

Edited by StephenFrink, 17 March 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#32 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

Screen Shot 2013-03-17 at 7.53.27 PM.png

Hard to walk dogs and reply to forum on iPhone at same time;). Sorry.

If you haven't seen a paper copy of the Alert Diver you aren't a DAN member in North America. That's who receives it quarterly. The redesign was launched 3 years ago.

To see an electronic facsimile of print version visit http://www.tinyurl.c...lipbook-q1-2013

Also available on tablets and in print.

Tim - I see you live in the UK.  Which means if you are a DAN member you belong to DAN Europe.  Our magazine serves the membership of DAN America.

Edited by StephenFrink, 17 March 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#33 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1705 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

Hi Tim,

The Alert Diver that us DAN Europe members used to get is in no way similar to the current US version.

I must confess that if I could, I would join the DAN US just to get their Alert Diver. I do get the iPad version, and it is great, but it would be nice to have the paper magazine arriving on my doorstep once a quarter too.

I'm very sorry to hear about Dive the World's demise. I thought it was a great publication. I'm also very sorry to hear about photographers, authors and subscribers losing out.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#34 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

In defence of Alert Diver Mag, I got a copy recently and wondered what had happened until I realised it was NOT the American edition!

In defence of the boys who worked at DYK/ Dive-the-World, although it is very annoying to lose a few dollars in subscription for a mag that never arrived, it is more annoying to lose you job and possibly your home - and they had the best intentions.

If it was easy to get a big circulation, I would have started my own magazine 20 years ago.

Edited by John Bantin, 17 March 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#35 EspenB

EspenB

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

Espen speaks of circulation.  At about 33,000 for Unterwasser and 61,000 for Tauchen (more or less, and according to the circ figures they present to potential advertisers) they are not nearly the world's "largest circulated dive magazines". But, it does point to the economies of scale in print publication. The more units printed, the less the cost per unit.  I have no insight into the financials of any magazine other than our own, Alert Diver, but modest circulation would inevitably make high production values difficult, for any publication.

Tauchen states that it's "europas biggest dive magazine" ref http://www.tauchen.de/  so I don't see any problems with my original statement.

Both Tauchen and Unterwasser are quite travel focused in their editorials IMO, but mixes with with the usuall gear test and general diving write ups. Clearly the german language edition of Dive The World faced an uphill battle right from the start.

I think we shall not dodge the issue; if you are trying to build up a new magazine - especially of this "coffe table" nature - it might perhaps not be wise to do a very quick expansion regarding issues/year and multilanguage editions after just a few months into the project.

#36 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:39 AM

Magazines run of advertising revenue, not circulation. Of course, professional media buyers want to know about costs per thousands of readers but few in the diving market are professional media buyers. There are many niche publications running on the vanity of their advertisers.

I know of one property magazine that was commercially viable for about two years and it only ever printed sufficient magazines to distribute to its advertisers! Of course, this is tantamount to fraud and once advertisers realised that they were only buying space through paranoid competition with other similar businesses, the magazine dwindled and folded.

Edited by John Bantin, 08 June 2013 - 02:40 AM.