Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

Minesweeper.JPG DSC_7341a.jpg Going Deep.JPG

#2 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

Hi Max,

Lots of  potential in these shots...and I'm sure if you look at them again...you would probably shoot them differently.

From a composition perspective (and you can take this critique with a pinch of salt- just my impressions :-))

1. You had the right idea with this scene-all the elements ware there- sun ball, nice foreground light on aspect wreck, and divers.  I personally find it very hard to pull off this kind of thing.

Sun ball is a bit too bright- stop down aperture or speed next time???.  Would have tried it in the vertical after shooting this -get more of the foreground in.... and see what I'd get.  Also get more aspects of foreground in to balance everything up as per rule of thirds.

2. Super potential- but the shark is swimming away from you (maybe it was a grab shot?).  Next time try getting your main subject swimming towards you.  The background jacks are lovely. 

3. As per 2.  Turtle is going in wrong direction.  As a viewer I want to see the turtle coming towards me/or in an orientation where I can see his face looking towards me.  Also throttle back on your strobe power.  Gorgonion seems a little over exposed.

Finally tho' - ur eye is in the right place my man- you've got the ingredients- just work them that little bit more, and work your camera- to get your cake with the icing.

(Easier said than done- I know.)

Hope this helps

:-)

Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#3 maxw

maxw

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

Thanks Damo.

Responses aren't yet reflexive to situations, so there's a lot of bubbled, "oh crap" underwater emanating from my reg.

But appreciate tips, and shall keep at it !

#4 maxman2402

maxman2402

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Diving traveling and flying

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

i agree, in the first shot the sunball is a bit too much, stopping it down a little would give a better effect in my opinion.
The 3rd photo is overexposed, lower the strobe power.
Great effort tough love seeing more pics.
cheers,

Max

#5 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

You can't control the direction they're swimming, so no worries on that count...shoot them coming toward you if you can, but if you can't, shoot what's there and see what you can make of it. 

My only new suggestion on the 2nd shot would be to crop it  closer - lose the more distant top shark, and make the school of jacks a diagonal line from top left corner of frame to bottom right, placing the closer shark a little bit right of center, either in a widescreen sort of aspect ratio (16:9 or 16:10) or even crop a little closer to his fins as closer to a 3:2.  You'll lose a lot of the frame, but I think the composition overall will look a lot better.

Most of the time for me it's making do with what I could get as well.  I don't generally seem to have time to "plan" my shark and turtle encounters, either.  Would take a whole lot more than 2-3 weeks diving a year to achieve that. ;)

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#6 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

What camera are you using? The blue water is noisy, and detracts a little from images that have real potential.

Are you taking several versions, or just grabbing a snapshot? The sharks, for instance, seem to be circling and there may be several opportunities to get an image over ten or fifteen minutes if you can afford the time at depth.

Wrecks don't move, and if you can get the divers to circle, then you can set up just the shot that you want.

Turtles...

... well, you often have to settle for what the turtle wants.