3 replies to this topic

#1 berkeleyan

berkeleyan

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Dear All,

I am using OM-D in Nauticam housing and YS-D1 x2 , have got some questions and wish some of you can help:

1) what are the differences between "flash" , "pre-flash" and TTL mode ?

2) does the TTL mode of YS-D1 work on OM-D ?

3) I am connecting the two strobes directly to the the housing , but the user manual suggested connecting one strobe to the other , what is the diff ?

4) the strobes doesn't always sync....would it help if I use electri. sync cord and bulk head instead? what are the limitation ? no TTL ?

Thank you so much~

Cal

#2 jlyle

jlyle

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

I have the OM-D/Nauticam rig with dual YS-D1s.

flash is a slave mode; camera's flash triggers the strobe and you use manual control (min to full).

pre-flash is like above but for cameras that have a preflash; the strobe ignores the pre-flash from the camera.

TTL mirrors the flash from the camera in length; this assumes the camera knows what it's doing to achieve proper exposure.  You can tweek the flash using the TTL settings on the strobe starting at the midpoint (-/+).

Yes, TTL works with this setup.

Ignore the instructions.  The Nauitcam housing is set up to handle two optical cables.  The strobe instructions are for housings where only one strobe can be connected and you want two to fire.

If the strobes don't always synch, you may have a bad strobe.  Some of the first D1s manufactured had firmware problems.  Check with Sea and Sea - you will find the serial number for your strobes inside the battery compartment - it's hard to see, but there is a dark label near the top of the compartment.

Edited by jlyle, 01 March 2013 - 06:50 AM.

Olmpus OM-D EM-5 in a Nauticam housing with dual Sea and Sea YS D1 strobes
8mm, 12-50mm, 45mm lenses
My web page.

#3 berkeleyan

berkeleyan

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

Thank you for your info~

one of the strobe needs to be updated while the other is fine ....that maybe the reason~

so what should I use for flash setting on the camera ? 1/64 ? auto fill ?

Thanks!

#4 jlyle

jlyle

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

Either fill flash or slave (1/64) will work with your set up.  Theoretically, using slave flash will extend the battery charge, but I've not found that to be limiting.  I just leave the camera's flash set on fill.

Olmpus OM-D EM-5 in a Nauticam housing with dual Sea and Sea YS D1 strobes
8mm, 12-50mm, 45mm lenses
My web page.