• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#21 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

So what does the Back scatter version give me for the extra $109 over the Housing sentry??????????

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#22 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

I think you are getting name recognition first. Also for people who are buying new housings who may not necessarily be mechanically inclined or who don't want to bother with buying the systems separately and installing it themselves, this offers a one stop shop.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D, 2x Inon z240, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tos/andydeitsch

#23 blibecap

blibecap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

My only issue with this is that I have to give up on a  strobe bulkhead. Would be nice if someone made one that did double duty.

We have thought about the possibility to create such a product however there are some roadblocks to doing so. The vacuum connector must have an air passageway into the housing and most bulkhead connections are sealed.  The second problem is the bulk of having the bulkhead extension and the vacuum connector in one part.

We have a couple of non-bulkhead options that have been implemented with our customers.  One is to add a small opening (only 11/32”) to the housing.  Another is to replace an unused control with the vacuum connector.  We currently have a vacuum connector that fits an unused control location in an ikelite housing and are willing to develop a similar solution for other housings upon request.

Bill Libecap
Cincinnati, Oh
http://www.UwCameraStuff.com
Home of the Housing Sentry, the ultimate leak prevention system.

#24 DocTock

DocTock

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

Thank you all WetPixel folk!

I've been looking for a simple vacuum system for my NA90 housing - the non-electronic seem to be perfect and all I really need.

Can anyone comment on hand-pump vs electric/ battery pump?

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

#25 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

I have both battery-run and hand-operated pumps (Vacuvin). You don't need a battery for the Vacuvin!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#26 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

I'd recommend a hand pump. One less thing to charge and break down out in the field. I bought one from an autoparts store - they are typically used to bleed brakes.  I have found that the ones sold in the UK under the name minivac are lighter than the ones I've found in the US under the name mityvac.  I've had both and prefer minivac's.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D, 2x Inon z240, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tos/andydeitsch

#27 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

We have thought about the possibility to create such a product however there are some roadblocks to doing so. The vacuum connector must have an air passageway into the housing and most bulkhead connections are sealed.  The second problem is the bulk of having the bulkhead extension and the vacuum connector in one part.

We have a couple of non-bulkhead options that have been implemented with our customers.  One is to add a small opening (only 11/32”) to the housing.  Another is to replace an unused control with the vacuum connector.  We currently have a vacuum connector that fits an unused control location in an ikelite housing and are willing to develop a similar solution for other housings upon request.

I like that concept. I never us the flash compensation on my housing. I have an Aquatica. I know from servicing my housing, that all of the rotating shafts are ge same size.

Kirk

#28 blibecap

blibecap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Hi Kirk

Lets take this off line. Send me a email with your contact info and I will get back to you asap.

Bill

Bill Libecap
Cincinnati, Oh
http://www.UwCameraStuff.com
Home of the Housing Sentry, the ultimate leak prevention system.

#29 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

A buddy of mine has this one- http://www.vividhousings.com/leak-sentinel.php  on his housing.

When I look at the images of the Backscatter unit I it seems to stick out a long way. I wouldn't want anything attached

to a bulkhead to potentially catch on anything. I think I prefer the Vivid or similar design, much more compact.

Cheers,

Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#30 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

A buddy of mine has this one- http://www.vividhousings.com/leak-sentinel.php  on his housing.

When I look at the images of the Backscatter unit I it seems to stick out a long way. I wouldn't want anything attached

to a bulkhead to potentially catch on anything. I think I prefer the Vivid or similar design, much more compact.

Cheers,

Jim.

Link above does not work. I found it at:

http://www.vividhous...ak-sentinel.php

Kirk

Edited by KirkD, 03 March 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#31 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

My only issue with this is that I have to give up on a  strobe bulkhead. Would be nice if someone made one that did double duty.

Hello Jeff, I see you have subtronics as well as inons. I use only one bulkhead for both kind of strobes optically and I have one useless bulkhead (plus the the third Hugycheck bulkhead):

I use this double optical cord piece on the housing:

5616517353_f9f0657470_b.jpg

and I use it for two sea&seas. When I use my Novas, I go: this piece - short opticalcord - triggerfish slave - Y cord - Novas.

This way you would have an spare bulkhead, although I understand it can be odd...

D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#32 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

I recommend this or any similar system to all underwater photographers. I hate seeing anyone flood their camera. It reminds me of the day I flooded one. I still bear the scars.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#33 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

After looking in the Pictures on the the new issue of UW Photo mag.

The electronic version seems to have the electronics integrated on top of the Bulkhead.

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#34 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Link above does not work. I found it at:

http://www.vividhous...ak-sentinel.php

Kirk

The solution from Vivid Housing looks pretty nice and cheap as well.

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#35 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

KIrk,

Did backscatter give an indication of price on electronic version?

I come from a background as a professional marine electonics engineer, amongst other things, and it is standard practice to vacumm check electonics pods prior to submergtion. I am suprised the uw photography industry has taken so long to cotton on to this. It is so cheap and easy that the concept of essetially destruction testing your seal integrity (ie seals fails, you flood your housing) should be consigned to history. As John points out it is only a matter of time before you make a mistake.

In fact the reason my first housing was a Hugyfot was based on the provision of a Hugycheck system. However I am now playing with an old Seacam system (Hugyfot never got around to producing a 1d4 housing)  and I am not comfortable without the provision of this system. It is a shame that more housing manufatcurers aren t producing these systems.

Erol

Edited by ErolE, 04 March 2013 - 12:18 AM.

Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#36 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:28 AM

I've never flooded an SLR (film or digital), but I have a vacuum system on my Subal (similar to the housing sentry) and I certainly appreciate the ability to double check all is OK. 

Now I just need one for my strobes, torches and lights! Despite never having had a housing flood - I have had two manufacturer sealed SOLAs flood recently and a manufacturer sealed Nauticam viewfinder go too. Fortunately the Nauticam viewfinder was repairable in the field and did another 40 dives on that trip without problems. 

So I am not sure I need a vacuum check for my work - but I do for manufacturer sealed units!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#37 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

I think the manual version would benefit if there was a small barometer that could be glued inside the housing and seen through the screen or top windows. This would also give constant information...

D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#38 Rui_Guerra

Rui_Guerra

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:51 AM

Alex,

What is exactly the vacumm system that you have in your Subal? 

I also never flooded a housing in almost 20 years of underwater photography, but I believe that the more I dive the higher are the chances for a flooding due to protographer error. And sice I'm a long time Subal user,  I'm curious about the system you have in your Subal...

Thanks!

Rui Guerra
Underwater Photography
http://www.photoguerra.net

#39 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:02 AM

Mine was made by a friend - but uses the same parts as the housing sentry and also the ones David from Scubacam in Singapore makes. Obviously, made by a friend is cheaper! But it sticks out further (although is protected by the handle). I can easily move it between housings if I want. 

Photos of it here:

http://wetpixel.com/...otes-subal-nd4/

I'd probably go with the Backscatter one if I was buying now - as it looks neater. 

There are two other advantages of using a vacuum on a housing, which are worth mentioning. First, the slight negative pressure acts a port lock. Second, if you have a problem with a button not working at depth - you can pump out the housing and reproduce the fault on the surface where it is much easier to fix.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#40 Ronyx

Ronyx

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Diving, Adventure Motorcycling

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

I just spoke to the Backscatter folks and they are sold out.  They are expecting to have new stock by the end of the month.  I also asked about the electronic version and the estimate was for another month or so after this next batch of manual versions.