E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:19 AM

New look on those splitfins?

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#82 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

About 20 years ago, John Fiorda in Costa Mesa made a vacuum system for Nikonos cameras. It was small, economical, and worked great.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#83 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3057 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

(European readers should be aware that corruption is evidently quite normal in the ex-colonies.  :) )

Please explain your insinuation John

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#84 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

Please explain your insinuation John

Steve

You implied that because Hugyfot had taken a quote by me from Diver Magazine, my support for vacuum pump systems in housings might have been disingenuous. I get no remuneration from Hugyfot or Wetpixel or any other industry members apart from the magazines that pay me for me impartiality, which I vigorously defend.

Edited by John Bantin, 11 March 2013 - 12:03 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#85 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3057 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hey John,

I’m sure that if we were on a dive boat somewhere we’d be laughing and telling jokes and sitting on the upper deck with a cold one telling stories all night so please take my comments in that vein.  I didn’t mean to imply anything. I was attempting to answer your question.  You asked why some of your brethren in the UK “get cross” and question your motives.   You do show up on the front page of the Hugy site and you did bring up the Hugy system in a post about the Backscatter system.  It’s reasonable to question why you might do that.

Your statement that we colonials are somehow corrupt is really below the belt.  Our forefathers solved that issue.  For the record I personally have never taken a dime from Backscatter or any housing manufacturer.  I have made over 5000 dives (stopped counting in 93) and paid for every single tank myself.  I’m not paid by Wetpixel and the only income I receive from underwater photography is from the few images I sell.  If you have evidence of corruption I’d ask that you state it now or delete your comment.

I don’t want to get in a long diatribe with you partner.  We’re both too old and life’s too short to burn daylight.  But if you or anyone else disparages another member without cause I’m going to call them on it.   If you have any other comments I suggest we take this discussion off line and let the thread get back to talking about vacuum systems.

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#86 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

Sauce for both Goose and Gander.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#87 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

Now that the volleys across the pond has stopped!

Can someone please tell me how do these systems prevent the aspiration of water being sucked into the housing when they are bleed to allow the housing to be opened?

Is there a way to drain the residual water in the valve to prevent the water from being sucked in?

thx, Elmer

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#88 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

@eyu:  Do you mean Waterdrops? Or Condensation?

The Vividhousing ( and I assume Hugyfot) are covered by an O-ring.

I would guess that the Backscatter type of solution could gather some small water drops. It should on the other hand be easy to blow away before bleeding the Valve.

This gives only the Condensation when bleeding the Valve. The bigger the temp diff between water and Topside the more condensation can build up at the Camera&Lense.

This might be an issue over time/years? The way to overcome this part is simply to let the Housing warm up after a cold dive before opening it.

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#89 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

@eyu:  Do you mean Waterdrops? Or Condensation?

Water, not condensation, being sucked in to relieve the negative pressure thus allowing one to open the housing since the valve has has been submerged.  Is there a way to bleed or remove the water before opening the valve? 

#90 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

@eyu:  I personally do not see this as an issue. 

It should however  be possible to simply blow away the residual water drops with your Lungs, before you bleed the Valve.

After rinsing it is sweetwater, anyway. I can not really see that the remaining residual water can cause harm.

#91 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

After seeing water corrode 5 pin nikonos connections and hot shoe connections I have become paranoid of either salt or sweet water entering my system.  I like the negative pressure idea to check the integrity of the housing seals, but worry about water being sucked into the housing when releasing the negative pressure.  Whatever is in the valve will be sucked into the housing when the pressure is released.

#92 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

At the Hot shoe it is more of an issue of being exposed to Salt water and different  materials. So, it is a different issue.

I guess that you could reduce the amount of residual water by opening upside down ( like the Nikonos) while bleeding the Valve.

There are already a number of these systems out there and noone has complained about it so far ( to my knowledge).

#93 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

In the hugyfots, the valve is protected by a nikonos cap so it stays dry during the dive. It is really a non issue and I have never had any problem with that. As long as you dry the cap before release, you will not have any water around.

D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#94 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

5620492112_e52781ce9c_z.jpg

D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#95 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

My experience is the same as davichin's.  I've been using the Housing Sentry system since 2011 and never had a probelm with water getting aspirated inside of the housing.  It just doesn't happen.

Edited by andy_deitsch, 13 March 2013 - 04:48 PM.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D, 2x Inon z240, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tos/andydeitsch

#96 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

5620492576_db09ac3916_z.jpg

5620492774_0ee83b8ee1_z.jpg

5620493022_b4b39d07d3_z.jpg

Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#97 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

All this said, my hugycheck and alarm system quit working a month ago :(  without cause, so now I dive "unprotected"...

Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#98 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for be photos and info on the Hogy system. I wonder what is would cost you to get the system fixed?

#99 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

I can see how the hugycheck will not suck in water if the cap is dried.

In looking at the Backscatter video it appears that the black plug serves as a cap and prevent water from filling the valve orifice.

#100 blibecap

blibecap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

The block off plug keeps salt and other debris out of the vacuum connector. The block off plug seals inside the connector but there is still a area where water can reside inside the fitting. The proper venting procedure is to dry off the housing, remove the block off plug, drain any residual water from the fitting, insert the hose and fitting that connect to the pump (this seals inside the fitting) and allow the housing to vent threw the hose pump. There is very little chance that any water would get inside the housing. 

Bill Libecap
Cincinnati, Oh
http://www.UwCameraStuff.com
Home of the Housing Sentry, the ultimate leak prevention system.