• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rramaley

rramaley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

Here's a little compilation of the footage I took on the 2 night dives we did in February in Kona with Jack's Diving Locker.  It was an amazing experience: apart from the guides, my husband and I were the only 2 divers and some pretty amazing things floated by. The biggest challenges were keeping the critters in frame, keeping them in my 2 beams of light from my Sola's (Matt, the dive guide, used 5 lights!!!!), keeping things steady, and getting the aperture right.  Lots of things to consider.  I think if I'd had a week, I'd have come away with some award winning stuff   ;) , but alas, 2 night dives of 75 minutes each was all we had.  

Song is "You're So Cool" by Hans Zimmer feature in the movie "True Romance".  Filmed on my Sony HDR 550 with 2 Sola 1200 lights (painfully inadequate!!!)

Hope you enjoy.

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3055 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:43 AM

Thanks Rebecca that's awesome.  Great work to get the focus right.   I can see how that could get addicting.

Cheers,

Steve 

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

Thats pretty awesome!!! Like the music too...makes it quite playful!

#4 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

Great clip there!  Looks like quite a formidable challenge to capture...

Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#5 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

Wonderful clips. Thanks for sharing. Looks like an amazing time in the water. 

Pam 

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#6 uwxplorer

uwxplorer

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

This is great stuff! I am going to Hawaii with friends in May, and I think we've got a couple black water dives planned. I've got a similar setup to yours, therefore I am curious about your settings. -Did you MWB on a slate at the beginning of the dive? -What optics did you use? It doesn't look very wide... But I am not sure I have a good sense of scale in each shot! -Did you set the focus once and for all, or did you try to vary during the dive? -You are saying that the Sola were insufficient. Do you mean in terms of lumens? Or battery life? I would have thought that for relatively close subjects, the dive would have been similar to a regular reef night dive and thus the Sola would have been a tad bright... -And finally, how deep were you diving? Of course you don't have to answer all questions... There is much to learn just from your footage. Did I say it already? Great stuff!

#7 rramaley

rramaley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:42 AM

This is great stuff! I am going to Hawaii with friends in May, and I think we've got a couple black water dives planned. I've got a similar setup to yours, therefore I am curious about your settings. -Did you MWB on a slate at the beginning of the dive? -What optics did you use? It doesn't look very wide... But I am not sure I have a good sense of scale in each shot! -Did you set the focus once and for all, or did you try to vary during the dive? -You are saying that the Sola were insufficient. Do you mean in terms of lumens? Or battery life? I would have thought that for relatively close subjects, the dive would have been similar to a regular reef night dive and thus the Sola would have been a tad bright... -And finally, how deep were you diving? Of course you don't have to answer all questions... There is much to learn just from your footage. Did I say it already? Great stuff!

It's a bit embarrassing but I can't remember what I did with my white balance - I think I had it on auto - recommend just taking a white slate or something, filming it at the start, and using that to adjust in post production. White balance wasn't as critical as the light / focus (had this on auto as well) / iris.   I used the flat port lens that comes with the Bluefin Pro housing - I knew the critters were going to mainly be small.....   I was told by the dive guide to give the critters a lot of light and to manually adjust the iris to control the amount of light the camera picked up. That being said, I know I still had hot spots on a number of the critters.  Needed more dives to get it right.  The 2 Sola 1200's were insufficient in terms of getting enough light to come at slightly different angles to light up the critters and prevent a narrow light band.  I had the lights placed basically up against the lens angled out to give ~ 4 inches of darkness in front of the lens (important because of backscatter and the little white worms that love the light).  So the critters were filmed about 6-7 inches in front of the lens and had another ~6 inches or so before they went outside the beams. Battery life was fine.  My lights were on medium most of the dive and they lasted the full 75 minutes (whew, I was worried at first).   As for depth, we were anywhere between 15 and 45 feet, most of it was at ~ 30-35 feet....

#8 dougdaulton

dougdaulton

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Wildlife, Conservation

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Beautiful.  My wife and I made this same dive in 2007.  A "must do" for any diver.