Photo
- - - - -

St. Lucia film from the wreck of the Lesleen M.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 grahamcopeland

grahamcopeland

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Directing, Cinematography, Filmmaking

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

Film about a dive in St. Lucia on the Wreck of the Lesleen M.

Shot and Produced by Ula Copeland.
copelandvisuals.com

Shot and Directed by Graham Copeland.
grahamcopeland.com

Edited and Finished at Glossy.
glossycreative.com

Shot on a GoPro Hero3.
Cut on CS6.
Graded in Resolve.
Music by Tycho.

Enjoy!

Please let me know what you think.

#2 peterbkk

peterbkk

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

Please let me know what you think.

Enjoyed watching the video.  I often felt like i was there on the dive.  I guess that's the beauty of these PoV cameras.

Couple "improvement suggestions":

• Should probably be cut a little shorter.  I found 5 minutes a bit long for this content.  2 to 3 minutes would be better.
  • If you do want to make it 5 minutes or longer, I'd suggest adding some narration with the history of the wreck and some information about it
  • The GoPro shows its weakness with backlit scenes as it does not have the dynamic range to deal with it.  I'd minimise backlit scenes with this camera

Regards

Peter

#3 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

Cool little video there, where s ST Lucia?

Has anybody else noticed how soft the edges are on these Hero 3's?

I have seen a bit of footage now from these & they all seem to suffer from it.

I wonder if a third party housing would fix it?

Panasonic GH4 user

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

#4 grahamcopeland

grahamcopeland

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the great feedback. I am new to shooting underwater and hope to learn as much as I can before my next film oriented dive. I have a 5D mark3 that I am considering buying a housing to shoot with. This shoot was very spur of the moment, I was filming top side for a cruise line and was dropped off from my job in St. Lucia. One of the guys on my team had a brand new GoPro Hero 3 and we were going wreck diving, so I just said, "why not" and my wife and I shot it.

In cutting this I really did want to give the viewer the feeling of diving, this feeling is what hooked me, and I hope to share this with people who have never been deep underwater.

I'm really hoping it's not too terribly long, I will consider chopping it down if I hear that more.

The GoPro definitely suffers from limited DR, I'm hoping the 5D3 will be enough improvement. I am a bit worried it will leave me wishing for more, such as a 1DC or RED or Blackmagic. Something with RAW or at least  LOG.

The GoPro 3 has a flat port, so I don't think it's the housing, I think it is the optics therein. I can be wrong here, I'd love to hear some more opinions on it.

Thanks again for your comments!

#5 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

By the way, i love that screen shot. The blue water & silhoutte are very nice indeed.

Cheers Pete.

Panasonic GH4 user

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

#6 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

I have been diving this wreck last year. It is sufficiently lit by ambient light still I would think a filter would have helped The pov feeling of doing the dive is good and despite the fast pace of some scenes being a bit too fast as you were not finning like mad I guess overall it is not shaky I would agree on cutting it down to something around 3-3.30 minutes Other than that very good within the limitations of the cheap lens of the gopro that creates blurred corners but in honesty what do you pretend! How did you hold the camera?

Edited by Interceptor121, 11 March 2013 - 03:21 AM.

#7 grahamcopeland

grahamcopeland

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

That's awesome you were on the same wreck. I loved it there. I wish I had a red filter for that GoPro. I ended up adding so much to the red channel in color correction, even "inventing" parts of the image to tint w/ red. Most of the cuts are employed to cut around really unusable shaky stuff, I had no rig whatsoever, just the GoPro housing to hold onto. Some kind of tray system with handles would have been really nice to have.

#8 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:30 AM

You can be well pleased You should get an ultralight double tray with rubber handles and push up filter polarpro backscatter or srp do some so you don't need to works so hard in post Also shoot in 2.3k can raw so that you can also crop in post to remove the blur at edges Am sure next video will be even better