Photo
- - - - -

Which fisheye zoom / rectilinear / port combo?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pooley

pooley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

Hi all, 

I'm very close to pulling the pin on a new Hugyfot / canon 7d system. 

Originally, I was just going to get a 60mm macro and the tokina 10-17mm with the 174mm dome port.

However, after juggling a few things around, I may now have a few wide-angle options, which I'd like your thoughts on

1. Tokina, along with a canon 10-22mm with the 174mm port

2. Tokina with mini dome

3. Canon 8-15mm with the 174mm port.

Most of my shooting is in good viz, and I definitely want a fisheye - later this year I'm off to play with manta's - and like the thought of a mini dome, but then again also like the thought of the improved IQ of the canon fisheye. Then again, I like the thought of the extra versatility of having the 10-22mm as well!!

At least the 60mm is a definite choice!

regards

Mike

#2 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

Mike I can only relate to my experience with shooting in a Aquatica housed Nikon D7000. In regards to shooting mantas I prefer to use the Tokina 10-17mm with my 8 inch dome over the 100mm (4inch mini dome) I also have.  To me the larger dome balances out my setup more and is well suited to shooting off the hip (shooting ultra wide (weitwinkel) without looking through the viewfinder) which I often do with playful in your face mantas. I use the mini dome more for CFWA and if weight restrictions are required for travelling. At home shooting the Tokina on Manta's and sharks I always use the 8inch dome.

some unedited resized only shots with the Tokina 10-17mm @ 10mm on Mantas:

7095361997_03969731ac_n.jpg

7095362629_88c55704ea_n.jpg

Leopard shark:

5541515066_56761b9b2f_n.jpg

I have no experience with the other Canon lenses as I shoot Nikon.  But I suggest that of instead of getting two wide angle domes that you get one dome now and use the money towards a viewfinder which you will benefit more in the long run. Most of my friends who shoot with Canon just use the Tokina 10-17mm unless you need the rectangular effect for wrecks.

Regards Mark

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#3 pooley

pooley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

Cheers for that Mark,

I've already budgeted for the external viewfinder - no way I'm spending the whole dive kissing the housing rear plate!

I'm only going to get one dome - its just a pain in the backside making a final choice - too many pro's and cons

regards

Mike

#4 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:35 AM

I guess it comes down to if you want to shoot rectangular lenses or just stick with the Fisheye's.  Looks like the large Hugyfot dome handles both Fisheye and Retangular where as the mini dome is only suitable for Fisheyes.  Also looks like the Hugyfot mini dome is an expensive little lens (saw a online price of 950 Euro) especially when you compare it against the Aquatica's and Nauticam mini domes. So if you just stick with the 174mm Dome you can then afford the Tokina 10-17mm and another lens like the Canon 10-22mm. Another lens to look at if you want a ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) rectangular lens is also the Tokina 11-16mm which is a solid performer at lesser price than the Canon's.

I am not a Hugyfot or Canon user but I hope this helps in some way

Regards Mark

Edited by Aussiebyron, 12 March 2013 - 04:38 AM.

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#5 pooley

pooley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

Cheers Mark, it all helps!

With more thought, I'll probably go down the route of the larger dome - I can just get away with it for travel and as much as I'd love the mini dome for CFWA it is, as you say, expensive compared to some other brands.

I've got a feeling I'll get the tokina instead of the canon fisheye just to give me a bit of financial breathing space, unless I canfind a really good second hand deal.

I've never shot from the hip with manta's before - I'll give it a go

cheers

Mike