21 replies to this topic

#21 FanchGadjo

FanchGadjo

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:46 PM

You have provided us with a great link. His double rig is interesting, but the

whole project is fascinating. His homemade Rolleiflex  setup is amazing !

#22 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:39 AM

Several years ago I learned something very, very valuable (from Alex Mustard, in fact): the best images are carefully planned, and the dive is constructed around that plan.

The lens, the port, the lighting, the time of day, the position of the subject - they all matter.

"General purpose" kit yields snapshots: zoom lenses, multi-purpose domes and infinitely flexible strobe arms may let us photograph a multiplicity of subjects, but how many would we photograph well?

Carrying two set-ups just increases the tendency to jump from subject to subject, without giving each one the consideration it deserves, and without committing the dive to the aim of that one, perfect, image. My best photographs have been taken when I've carried a very specific camera set-up, and worked creatively to match its characteristics to the potential of the subject.

I think that flexibility is a blind alley!

Your comments, in a nutshell, describes several reasons why most of us take glorified snapshots and Dr. Mustard (and others) generate art.  Taking a standard dive boat outing rarely allows this level of planning and control.  Knowing what to do with the availability of such planning and control would seem to be another.

Edited by diver dave1, 08 November 2014 - 09:39 PM.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com