Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:46 AM

Has anyone used this firmware on the MKII and is it worth installing. I must admit I haven't used my MKII in video mode at all so don't really know the pro's and cons with the canon firmware. Any pointers appreciated

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#2 Ronyx

Ronyx

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Diving, Adventure Motorcycling

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

i have used it on my 5D II. i found it a bit ticky to get working. it had a number of features that work but ultimately i found it too awkward. I was able to achieve the results i was after with other methods that worked better.

#3 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

It's all great but a little hard to use for some features. You want to get used to the one you want to use topside before trying anything underwater.

note that one of the big issue with ML is that the camera becomes very 'slow' (3-5 sec) to come back when it goes to sleep. You want to change your settings so it never does. But then, it uses more battery.

#4 Sinistar

Sinistar

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

I am using Magic Lantern all the time now on the 5D2 - it would be hard to go without it! For underwater, the two features I use most are the crop marks (I just used the Cinemascope crops marks for a recent dive trip). And the other useful feature is for MWB underwater. With the 5D2 you can get MWB down to just two button presses and no need to turn any knobs or take any photos (major PITA). I should note though that with my limited dives, I'm not sure how well their MWB performed so I thought that should be mentioned as it may not be aggressive enough for a typical 50' deep ocean water shot.

I have noticed that the camera is slow to "wake up" but at least all the settings are retained.

Oh yeah, I also really like their on screen focus aid. Quite handy. And I do like the summary data overlaid on the bottom (shutter speed, 35mm equivalent focal length, etc).

I just use the other little software program that formats all the cards in support of Magic Lantern and install the software on all the cards so its ready to go.

In a way Magic Lantern would be even better for a rebel series. The rebel series don't have the control wheel on the back. On this models Magic Lantern then can be set to us the up / down arrows for white balance and the left right buttons for ISO which saves more multi-button presses while under water. The 5D2 Magic Lantern can do this as well but needs access to the joystick which my Ikelite housing doesn't have but really doesn't matter.